Options

SQLPrompt not working after upgrade to SSMS 2017 and SQLPrompt 9.

Dave_BDave_B Posts: 1 New member
I was running sqlprompt in management studio 2014. I installed Management Studio 2017 and then upgraded to sqlprompt 9. SQLPrompt now is not working correctly. Keywords do not capitalize automatically but they will if I do a ctrl B U. Tabbing after a SELECT * does not display the column names.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi @Dave_B,

So sorry to hear that!

To confirm, is it SQL Prompt 9.0.1.3179? And are the issues happening for you in both SSMS 2014 and 2017?

I unfortunately haven't been able to reproduce this so far. If you haven't already can you please first try repairing SQL Prompt to see if that resolves this? If not, can you kindly try SQL Prompt>Refresh suggestions?

Should those not help though, can you please let me know the exact versions of SSMS 2014 and 2017 that you have? And do you recall what version of SQL Prompt you had updated from?

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Options
    Scott452Scott452 Posts: 3 New member
    I had uninstalled SSMS 16 and had installed SSMS 17. After SQL Prompt is installed I refreshing SQL Prompt and tried repairing the installation, none of this helped. Today I have just updated SQL Prompt to 9.0.3.3299 and I updated SSMS to 17.4 and I still have the same issue. The first instance of SSMS freezes and is unresponsive. I can open a second, it works fine, I can close the first instance and continue to open additional one with no issues. Once all instances are shut down, the next one that I open is unresponsive. SSMS hangs, but it does appear to load SQL Prompt, (menu is visible) and it opens the last set of documents. But no prompt ever comes up to connect to a server. If I uninstall SQL Prompt SSMS no longer hangs on the first or any other instance.

Thanks, Scott
  • Options
    Scott452Scott452 Posts: 3 New member
    I was looking at this some more, and noticed the instances (first ones) that are hanging always have tabs-documents opening with that instance. The second instance never has tabs, so I turned OFF the SQL Prompt setting Restore Open Tabs and Automatically Reconnect Restored Tabs. Once I did this I had no issues on starting a first instance. Then I turned on Restore Open Tab and left reconnect off, again no issues. Then I turned on Reconnect and once more I had no issues. The tab set I originally had were tabs to a couple of different servers, I don't know if that had any impact as I didn't test multiple servers, but I did test opening and closing with a couple of tabs connected to one server. So it appears to be working okay now.

Thanks
  • Options
    Glad to hear that @Scott452!

Tab History can cause problems but usually just in the form of a slower startup. It's more likely when there are many tabs that need to be opened and when they all need to be connected. Glad to hear that toggling those seemed to have helped but please let us know if the problems return.

• Options
    Similar issue I suspect, but repair hangs and never completes. Suggestions?

Regards, Ira
    Ira L Grollman
  • Options
    Hi @iragrollman,

So sorry, I just realized that there is an issue with the repair function, but uninstalling and then reinstalling should have the same effect. Does that help?

If not, can I just confirm what the issue is in your case? Is it with keywords not capitalizing automatically, or is SSMS unresponsive at startup?

• Options
    3yn7vd1z6bwm.jpg
    After I finish a customer, I will reboot the development system with this issue and see a re-install becomes possible and then fixes this. I presume I have to do a re-install for the other components of the "toolbelt" that are supposed to show up in SSMS?

Regards, Ira
    Ira L Grollman
  • Options
    iragrollmaniragrollman Posts: 5 Bronze 2
    edited December 19, 2017 2:26AM
    After rebooting to clear the hung repair it is possible to remove and reinstall SQL prompt. When time permits, I will get to remove and reinstall the other features like SQL Search. FWIW there is a support case on this because I still get An exception was encountered while constructing the content of this frame. This information is also logged in ...
    Exception details:
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsShell5.LoadPackageWithContext(Guid& packageGuid, Int32 reason, Guid& context)
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.GetPackage()
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.ConstructContent()

Thanks, Ira
    Ira L Grollman
  • Options
    Hi @iragrollman!

Apologies, I forgot to mention- when the repair process gets stuck, you can killing the associated msiexec.exe process from task manager so you don't have to reboot.

Regarding the error, can I just check to help us narrow down if SQL Prompt is causing it or something else... does SQL Prompt still load despite the error? Does SQL Source Control, SQL Test, and SQL Search?

• Options
    remove/reinstall permits SQL prompt operation. The other add-ins are not visible in SSMS. I have a support ticket open for this issue (#104337) .
    Ira L Grollman
  • Options
    I am also getting the issue that Sql Prompt is not working with SSMS 17 and 16 after upgrade to Sql Prompt 9.0. I have tried with re-installing SSMS and Sql Prompt. Many times uninstall of Sql Prompt 9 is stuck. Is there any fix for this problem?
  • Options
    I had degrade Sql Prompt to use in SSMS 16 and 17, version 8.2.3.2750 is working fine in my machine.