Unable to check for updates in SQL Data Compare

jdguiltyjdguilty Posts: 2
edited November 15, 2016 6:32AM in SQL Data Compare
When selecting
Help...Check for updates
within the program, I receive an error message that states,
Error: Cannot check for updates.
I'm currently running version 12.0.36.3534 Professional. This has been going on for several days.
Tagged:

Comments

• Hi

Sorry to hear you've been having trouble. I think we should have logging around the check for updates functionality, so if you start a verbose log as described in https://documentation.red-gate.com/disp ... +log+files, reproduce the problem and then have a look for log lines marked 'UpdateClient', there might be something useful there. Otherwise you'll probably need to get in touch with support at support@red-gate.com to try and debug the problem further

Hope that's helpful
  • sareisarei Posts: 7 New member
    was there a solution to this issue? i am now experiencing the same.
    OK. Seems to have resolved by running as administrator
  • Out of interest, which program did you need to run as administrator? SQL Data Compare should be able to run and display the blue "update available" bar without admin rights, as well as download the latest installer for you. When you run the installer, you should get a UAC prompt requesting the required privileges to install the new build.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
    I ran SQL Data Compare as administrator. I agree with you, as i've not had to do that before.
  • This also appeared for me at my new laptop. Thanks to the verbose logging, I found out that in c:\users\xxx\Appdata\Temp there were no rights for regular users, only for administrators. I added everyone with full control and now updating works as always before.
  • mstraussmstrauss Posts: 1 New member
    Currently unable to run updates (SQL Prompt from w/in SQL Mgmt Studio or SQL Compare from within that program).
    I turned on verbose logging and this is what I get from SQL Compare (I changed the env variable to my desktop for testing):
    10:34:02.750|Info   |UpdateClient        |10 |Download C:\Users\<USER>Desktop\CFU\SQLCompare_13.4.0.6563.exe failed authenticode check
    10:34:02.942|Info   |UpdateClient        |10 |Download progress  2048
    10:34:02.942|Info   |UpdateClient        |10 |Downloading 2048/35037512
    10:34:02.942|Info   |UpdateClient        |10 |State: Downloading
    10:34:03.446|Info   |UpdateClient        |10 |Download progress  2066337
    10:34:03.446|Info   |UpdateClient        |10 |Downloading 2066337/35037512
    10:34:03.446|Info   |UpdateClient        |10 |State: Downloading
    10:34:03.948|Info   |UpdateClient        |10 |Download progress  11289966
    10:34:03.948|Info   |UpdateClient        |10 |Downloading 11289966/35037512
    10:34:03.948|Info   |UpdateClient        |10 |State: Downloading
    10:34:04.450|Info   |UpdateClient        |10 |Download progress  19886946
    10:34:04.450|Info   |UpdateClient        |10 |Downloading 19886946/35037512
    10:34:04.450|Info   |UpdateClient        |10 |State: Downloading
    10:34:04.952|Info   |UpdateClient        |10 |Download progress  28770627
    10:34:04.952|Info   |UpdateClient        |10 |Downloading 28770627/35037512
    10:34:04.952|Info   |UpdateClient        |10 |State: Downloading
    10:34:05.059|Warn   |UpdateClient        |10 |There is a problem saving the download file to your computer.
    System.IO.IOException: Received an unexpected EOF or 0 bytes from the transport stream.
       at System.Net.ConnectStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       at RedGate.Update.Client.Download.FileWriter.WriteStreamToFile(Stream steam)
       at RedGate.Update.Client.Download.DownloadManager.DownloadFile(FileDownloadProgress progress, IUpdate update, String updateUrl)
    10:34:05.386|Warn   |UpdateClient        |10 |Download failure
    RedGate.Update.Client.Download.DownloadException: There is a problem saving the download file to your computer. ---> System.IO.IOException: Received an unexpected EOF or 0 bytes from the transport stream.
       at RedGate.Update.Client.Download.DownloadManager.DownloadFile(FileDownloadProgress progress, IUpdate update, String updateUrl)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at RedGate.Update.Client.Download.DownloadManager.Download(IEnumerable`1 requestedDownloads, DownloadProgress progress)
    10:34:05.388|Warn   |UpdateClient        |10 |Facade failure
    RedGate.Update.Client.Download.DownloadException: There is a problem saving the download file to your computer. ---> System.IO.IOException: Received an unexpected EOF or 0 bytes from the transport stream.
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Server stack trace: 
       at RedGate.Update.Client.Download.DownloadManager.Download(IEnumerable`1 requestedDownloads, DownloadProgress progress)
       at RedGate.Update.Client.UpdateService.CheckForUpdatesStatic(IUpdateServer updateServer, IDownloadManager downloadManager, String serialNumber, Boolean automatic, DownloadProgress progress)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Object[]& outArgs)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvokeHelper(Message reqMsg, Boolean bProxyCase)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(Object NotUsed, MessageData& msgData)
       at RedGate.Update.Client.UpdateService.Callback.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)
       at RedGate.Update.Client.UpdateService.EndCheckForUpdates(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
       at RedGate.Update.Client.UpdateFacade.CheckFinished(IAsyncResult ar)
    10:34:05.388|Info   |UpdateClient        |10 |State: Error
    10:34:05.782|Info   |UpdateClient        |10 |Exiting check for updates