Support for APS (PDW)

David1David1 Posts: 4 New member
hi, does the product fully support (or partially) PDW?
Tagged:

Answers

• We'd like to know more about your use case here. While it wouldn't be difficult to provide basic support to deploy tables etc, our understanding is that most DW users would find our Data Platform Studio a better fit for their needs:

https://www.red-gate.com/products/azure-development/data-platform-studio/index

If DPS doesn't do what you want, could you tell us more about your requirements?
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • David1David1 Posts: 4 New member
    Does DPS has the option to move only the scheme without data?
  • From talking to the DPS team, it sounds like you'd want to deploy the schema to an ordinary SQL Server instance using SQL Compare and then upload the database to PDW using Data Platform Studio.

Adding basic DW support to SQL Compare would be a bit trickier than I suggested above because of the different selection of data types supported by the platform. This is why we have produced a dedicated import tool.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • David1David1 Posts: 4 New member
    basically what i want to achieve is an automated way to backup our schema objects (table structure, views procedure etc...) not the data itself - what is the best way to accomplish that using your tools?
  • Thanks for outlining your use case - unfortunately this isn't something we support right now, as we haven't seen many Parallel Data Warehouse users.

I guess (assuming you have an ETL workload) you could drop all the data in between runs and create a backup, but that's kind of a sledgehammer approach to the problem.

In response to a relatively active uservoice page, we spiked DW support in Compare about a year ago, and got as far as successfully registering a database. Unfortunately we don't consider that spike releasable because solving the next layer of problems (reconciling DW versus on-prem data types) within the SQL Compare Engine got messy and most of our users wanted to deploy their on-prem databases to DW. Data Platform Studio was written to solve this problem and that tool was unfortunately less popular than we hoped, so didn't get extended into a general purpose schema/data compare tool.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software