SQL Developer Bundle Install Error on WIndows 10: This installation is forbidden by system policy

SQLCookieMonsterSQLCookieMonster Posts: 6 Bronze 1
edited November 22, 2017 9:05PM in SQL Source Control
Hello,

I am trying to install SQL Developer Bundle (latest version,) on Windows 10 Enterprise and I keep getting the following error:
The error screenshot is here:
https://imgoat.com/uploads/72b030ba12/59662.png

In the system event logs I see a bunch of errors like this:
“The installation of C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Local\Temp\{D23ECCAA-8D61-469B-843B-08A864D07DA1}\INTERNAL_ssms integration pack_1.6.0.629_x86.msi is not permitted due to an error in software restriction policy processing. The object cannot be trusted.”

I have tried the following:
1. Run as administrator
2. Run in command prompt as administrator
3. Have IT run the .exe as local admin
4. Get the MSIs from the Temp folder in User/AppData/Local that is created curing the install attempt, copy that to Program Files x86 or Program Files folder and try to install from there.
5. Ran Regedit and check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer (there was only the “AlwaysInstallElevated” no other restristions)
6. Right click on the installer and add the Red Gate Certificate to my machine

Thanks in advance for any help!
Tagged:

Best Answers

• SQLCookieMonsterSQLCookieMonster Posts: 6 Bronze 1
    Red Gate told me the fix to this bug will be referenced as "TBI-407" in the release notes.

To work around this temporarily, this is what I did:

Run the SQLDeveloperBundle.exe as administrator and keeping the error message open, navigate to your AppData/Local/Temp folder to find the extracted files. Copy this folder to your Program Files (x86) folder or some other place you can install from.

Next, start command prompt as administrator, and use msiexec to execute the .msi files you want in the folders (NOT the ones that say INTERNAL, the ones in the individual folders (SQL Source Control, SQL Search, etc.)).
  • SQLCookieMonsterSQLCookieMonster Posts: 6 Bronze 1
    This bug was resolved in Version 6.0.2.6908 thanks you for fixing it :)

Answers

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi @SQLCookieMonster!

Based on the error in the Event Log, it actually sounds like there may be a legitimate security policy that's blocking the install- it may be that running msi files via an .exe is blocked.

Can you kindly take a look at your Software Restriction Policies (as described here https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc735563(v=ws.10).aspx) to check this, in case the installer may still be blocked once TBI-407 is resolved?

(TBI-407 is a bug where the "this installation is forbidden by system policy" error can come up even if there are no system policies blocking it.)

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Jessica R wrote: »
    Hi @SQLCookieMonster!

Based on the error in the Event Log, it actually sounds like there may be a legitimate security policy that's blocking the install- it may be that running msi files via an .exe is blocked.

Can you kindly take a look at your Software Restriction Policies (as described here https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc735563(v=ws.10).aspx) to check this, in case the installer may still be blocked once TBI-407 is resolved?

(TBI-407 is a bug where the "this installation is forbidden by system policy" error can come up even if there are no system policies blocking it.)

Thanks for your reply Jessica. I checked my policy as the link shows and there is none. We do have a system-wide policy to block the execution of an .msi from an .exe outside of the Program Files (86) directory but I also got the error when trying to install from there. I've had programs not install, then they worked after I installed from the Program Files (86) directory so I think it is probably not the policy.
  • Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Ah okay, it is likely due to TBI-407 then- many thanks for checking!

We'll let you know once it's resolved.

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?