Options

Upgrade Install of SQLPrompt requires a license reactivation and WORSE!! Kills my saved tab history

Just did an upgrade to Version 8.0.4.1638 (June 21st, 2017) from 8.0.0.1241. After a 'successful' upgrade (as per the dialog box) I open SSMS to discover SQLPrompt is NOT active. I have to re-connect with my license login information to get the app to work. But even worse... My tab history is GONE!! Some of it was important stuff. I know it's my bad for not saving, but wow this is frustrating. I guess in future.. treat any upgrade install as a potential full restart. UGHHHHH!!
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Hi Curtis,

Really sorry to hear that the upgrade caused your tab history to disappear.

We store the tab history in SavedTabs.db under C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 8

Does that file still exist for you or has it been blanked?

Michael
    Michael Clark
    Technical Lead, SQL Monitor
  • Options
    This post got me on the right track for the fix.
    I was upgrading from 7 to 9 and after the upgrade my tab history was gone.
    I went into the SQL Prompt 7 directory (path in previous post) and copied the SavedTabs.db file over to the SQL Prompt 9 directory and the tabs came back.
  • Options
    LindaLLindaL Posts: 2 New member
    Did the same as johnkarlhill. History tabs came back but my configuration settings didn't. :(
  • Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Sorry to hear that @LindaL!

Just a bit more on what likely happened with the Tab History: on startup, our tools need to connect to a Windows service that has been installed on your machine called the Redgate Client service--this service validates your license. If this service isn't running for some reason, then SQL Prompt functionality won't load and with that, your Tab History won't show either. (You can check if the service connection failed by going to SQL Prompt>Manage my license, which will show any connection error.)

You can re-enable SQL Prompt though by going to your Services panel and (re)starting the Redgate Client service and then going back to SSMS (sometimes there's a delay until it picks up that the service is started again).

So long as the tab history file in c:\programdata\Red Gate\SQL Prompt X hasn't been deleted, then the tab history should still be available when SQL Prompt comes back up.

Similarly, the the settings in Tools>Options should remain as well so long as nothing has been deleted from c:\programdata\Red Gate\SQL Prompt X, and the Formatting styles should still be there in %localappdata%\Red Gate\SQL Prompt X\StylesV2 too.

Can I just confirm which settings have gone missing --Options or formatting styles? Have the files for either been deleted?

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Options
    LindaLLindaL Posts: 2 New member
    Thanks for your response, Jessica. I've gone back to vsn 7.5.1 and, having previously taken a copy of the SQL Prompt 7 folder, managed to restore the majority of my configuration settings by replacing the config files with those from my backup.
  • Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Glad to hear you've got things in a working state, but please let us know if you run into any further issues should you update down the line! (your settings should transfer to the updated version, but if this fails for any reason, you can always copy the files again)

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?