Error copying text to the clipboard

rolandorolando Posts: 2 New member
I am using SQL Compare 12.4.9.4945 and encounter an error nearly always when I try to copy some data from the compare-panel. E.g. when trying to copy the index-name which is only present on one database. In some rare cases it works, but most often it just fails and i have to write the name down rather than just copying it.
I assume the error is related to this topic: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/68666/clipbrd-e-cant-open-error-when-setting-the-clipboard-from-net
If i use the "Copy" button in the deployment-window for the change-script it always works, seems like the copy function is implemented differently here.
I am using SQL-Compare on Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 and connecting to it using an RDP-Session from Windows 10. Perhaps this combination could be a cause for this behaviour but i have nearly no option to change this setup.
I already encountered the problem in previous version of SQL-Compare and hoped it would be solved by the new one, but no luck.

I get this error:
Window topic: Error copying the text to the clipboard
Text: Error copying text to the clipboard: OpenClipboard Failed (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800401D0 (CLIPBRD_E_CANT_OPEN)) This may happen if another application has the clipboard locked

Would be great if you could change this.

Best regards
Rolando

Comments

• AlessandroAlpiAlessandroAlpi Posts: 91 Gold 2
    edited August 16, 2017 10:49AM
    Hi @Rolando,
    could you please try to do the same thing when using SQL Search? These are the repro steps:
    1. open a window in SSMS with a non saved query (any query is good)
    2. open SQL Search, search for something and let the detail pane open
    3. try to select text into the detail pane and press CTRL-C

do you receive the same error? if so, you can read here. Unfortunately, seems to work in SSMS, but maybe it could be helpful to read about it in order to understand better the behavior. I'd like to get the way to solve it also in comparison tools.
    Alessandro Alpi
    CTO @ Engage IT Services s.r.l.
    Database Administrator and Team Leader
    Microsoft MVP - Data Platform
    Staff member of getlatestversion.it community
    personal website | blog
  • rolandorolando Posts: 2 New member
    edited August 16, 2017 2:36PM
    Hi,

thank you for the link. In SSMS i also got the copy-error frequently and had already given up. The solution in the link seems to have solved it. I wasn't able to provoke it in SQL Search in SSMS any more.

In SSMS with SQL-Search i also encountered this error if i am not using it within an RDP-session.
  • I am consistently getting this error in the latest version of SQL Compare (13.1.1.5299) and I'd really like to know why.
  • Hi @rolando!

Thanks for bringing this up to our attention! We will have a look and understand the issue and get back to you once we have more information.
    Tugberk Ugurlu
    Technical Lead, Data Privacy & Protection
    Redgate Software Ltd.
  • @DavidStein

> I am consistently getting this error in the latest version of SQL Compare (13.1.1.5299) and I'd really like to know why.

Could you tell me what version of Windows are you using?
    Tugberk Ugurlu
    Technical Lead, Data Privacy & Protection
    Redgate Software Ltd.
  • I am using Windows 10 Pro.
  • I'm getting the same error with Windows 10 pro.
  • It's on the "View Object Deployment Script" then "Copy to Clipboard. Even with the error, the clipboard is being populated, so it looks to me like it might be trying to copy twice for some reason and blocking itself.

• DavidSteinDavidStein Posts: 11 Bronze 1
    I'm now using the latest version (13.1.8.5525) and this is still a problem. When is it going to be addressed?
  • KirkKirk Posts: 4 Bronze 1
    I am also getting this same error every time I try to CTRL-C or <right-click> copy. Any help would be appreciated.

SDL Data Compare 13.2.4.5728
    Windows 10 
  • RichardLRichardL Posts: 417 Gold 4
    Hi @Kirk

Thanks for your post. 

Please try the latest version available for download below and let us know if you're still experiencing the issue. This version was released on the 1st of May 2018. 

ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQLCompare/01May2018/SQLCompare_13.3.3.6037.exe

Kind regards

Richard Lynch. 
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
  • zork2112zork2112 Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    I just updated to 13.3.3.6037 and I'm still getting the clipboard error. 
  • RichardLRichardL Posts: 417 Gold 4
    Hi @zork2112

Thanks for your reply. 

I would suggest then that you send us a ticket. This way a support engineer can look in to your issue if you have a support contract with us and if you don't receive any further assistance from the community. 

Kind regards

Richard Lynch. 
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
  • LeeGrissomLeeGrissom Posts: 1 New member
    edited September 24, 2018 2:44AM
    Edit: Using Version 13.4.5.6953 (just downloaded 2 days ago)

I get this error 100% of the time inside the "SQL View" window of the comparison results when I use the Keyboard shortcut "Ctrl+C".  However, when I right-click on my selection and choose the "Copy" menu item, I still get the error dialog (ASCII version of it below)... although the content does get correctly copied to the clipboard.

---------------------------
    Error copying text to the clipboard
    Error copying text to the clipboard: OpenClipboard Failed (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800401D0 (CLIPBRD_E_CANT_OPEN))
    This may happen if another application has the clipboard locked
    OK   

P.S. I noticed from inside the About Box, you embedded an Asteroids game that launches after being idle for 30 seconds... which is fun, but I hope maintaining that isn't taking time away from fixing basic clipboard functionality.
  • KirkKirk Posts: 4 Bronze 1
    RichardL said:
    Hi @Kirk

Thanks for your post. 

Please try the latest version available for download below and let us know if you're still experiencing the issue. This version was released on the 1st of May 2018. 

ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQLCompare/01May2018/SQLCompare_13.3.3.6037.exe

Kind regards

Richard Lynch. 
    I am still getting this error 100% of the time as I reported back on May 2. 

Installing the update suggested by RichardL (and every update since) has done nothing to stop the error.

Currently using 13.4.5.6953 Professional

Windows 10
  • zork2112zork2112 Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    I finally figured out my issue.  It was not with Sql Compare.    I use a program called "Beyond Compare" for comparing text files and they have an option called "Clipboard Compare"   I turned that off and the problem with SQL Compare went away.