How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.

Where do I find the real latest version of SQL monitor

eteunisseeteunisse Posts: 19 Bronze 1
edited November 3, 2017 12:36PM in Redgate Monitor
When I look at the SQL Monitor release notes, version 7.1.10 is releases on November 2nd.
When I go to SQL monitor --> Configuration --> About en I download the latest version, I get version 7.1.5 (released September 11th)

Where can I download version 7.1.10 (aka real latest version)?
Tagged:

Answers

• Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi @eteunisse

The team have changed their release process to follow a frequent release / stable release pattern. The latest stable release is 7.1.5 and the latest frequent release is 7.1.10.

The link on the Help > About page has actually been removed as of 7.1.6 as it doesn't link to the latest version with the new release process. To get the latest stable release you would go to your My Products page and click the link to download the software; to get the latest frequent release you click on the banner that pops down in the SQL Monitor UI.

For now you can download 7.1.10 here.

I hope that helps!

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • jccjcc Posts: 3 New member
    I came here just to find this. It's REALLY confusing that I can't get the actual latest version. I've been digging through documentation that has screen shots of things I don't see. Based on your release notes I'm at least 6 releases out of current now (7.1.5 being what I keep getting as well) but your release notes are up through 7.1.12 with no obvious way to obtain newer versions. The screenshot mismatches, I have no way of telling if it's because the docs are out of date, or my version is out of date. You guys should really do something about that.
  • eteunisseeteunisse Posts: 19 Bronze 1
    I could download version 7.1.10 directly from the link provided by Alex, but when I download the latest version via my products I get the SQLDBA bundle containing SQL Monitor 7.1.5
    mfsy4wjukzva.png

So I still do not know how to download the latest version of SQL Monitor.
  • Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    edited December 14, 2017 4:12PM
    [Edited to be more general and encompassing]

Hi All

I'll expand a bit more on my answer above, as that is the process and how the release work currently.

To get the latest stable release (i.e. at the time of writing this is 7.1.5) you would go to your My Products page and click the link to download the software or get the SQL Toolbelt installer from whatever source you normally would. This is a release that has remained major bug free for a period of time and has therefore been added to the Bundle installers.

The latest frequent releases are provided by the drop down banner in the product UI itself. If you dismiss the banner it will create a cookie called "checkforupdates" with a value of 1. If you delete this cookie and refresh the page, it will display banner once more and you can click to download the latest version. These are not shown for installations running in trial mode (we feel providing the most stable version is better for the trial period) and they will not appear if the server is not connected to the internet.

If you don't have internet connectivity from the base monitor machine to our servers, our ftp ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SqlMonitorWeb/ has a list of folders by release date (as shown in the release notes) which you can download the different versions as exe or zip from. Or if you are a supported customer you can email into support@red-gate.com and we can send you a link a specific version.

The process still has some teething issues, so in the circumstance when a release is pulled (e.g 7.1.11) the banner may for that period of time still point to an incorrect place until the later version (7.1.12) is available. We are working to address this.

I think that covers the different circumstances. This is similar to how the client tools function - the frequent releases are not included in the bundle installers, only stable versions are added there.

Please do let me know if I've missed anything or if you are still unable to get the release you want!

Kind regards,
    Alex

Thank you, that explanation is very helpful. I know you mentioned that it's still teething, but I'd still suggest some additional efforts should be made to prevent the situation of documentation not lining up with what you say is the stable release. Your visible documentation and your stable release should either always line up, or you should have better call outs when documentation contains version specific changes. Since I didn't mention before, what I'm referring to is there is an option shown in the online documentation for FCI/AlwaysOn with regards to connection properties that is not present in the 7.1.5 version.
  • Hi @jcc

Ah, righto, do you mean this page or another one? That's the only page in the v7 documentation I can see related to FCI/AG and connection properties, but I would like to correct whatever other you have found if it's not this.

I agree that items related to specific versions should be marked as such (meaning if a bit of the v7 documentation doesn't apply to the entire v7 it should tell what part it does apply to - or be specified in the release notes.

Kind regards,
    Alex

That's the one. The checkbox for cluster name/fix cluster name doesn't exist in 7.1.5 from what I saw. It's what led me on my quest for newer version (or figuring out if that was a removed item from a previous version).
  • Hi @jcc

Gotcha! I'm not sure if this was before you were looking at it (it says last updated 9 Oct) but at the top of the page it indicates that this is from 7.1.6 - that feature with the fix cluster name was specifically for getting the Azure Cluster / AG to work.

I think that covers everything - if you do find anything else similar to this do let us know here or email in to Support@red-gate.com!

Kind regards,
    Alex

• I just looked up this conversation because my SQL Monitor install has been telling me about 7.1.12 for a little while. I have been installing it via SQL Toolbelt which seems to continue to give me 7.1.5. Latest not make it into the SQL Toolbelt installer?
  • Hi @krachynski

Only the stable version goes into the bundle installers (i.e. the SQL Toolbelt installer) which would still be 7.1.5 as I believe (though I've been on holiday so it may have changed in the last couple of weeks). When a customer downloads a trial of one of the products the entire SQL Toolbelt installer is provided and so only the most recent stable version of the tools are included.

You are only getting the latest from the dropdown message within the product UI as stated in my message above. If you have cancelled that, see the message on what cookie controls that pop-up and how to get it back or how to get the specific versions from the FTP.

Kind regards,
    Alex

• Hi @Alex B,

I think that for SQL Prompt and ReadyRoll, I got into a state where the versions offered in the application seemed to be behind what SQL Toolbelt offered, so whenever any of my tools are offering a new version, I grab SQL Toolbelt instead. I'll make sure I use the link in the web app instead for SQL Monitor from now on.
  • @krachynski Sounds good!

• We've just added a link to the About page in SQL Monitor, so you will be able to go there and get the latest frequent release. Hopefully this will prove useful if you've dismissed the reminder etc.

This should be in the next release...