Converting Styles from SQL Prompt 7 to 8

Hello,

Our team has a .sqlpromptstyle file that we have used for years. I recently upgraded to SQL Prompt 8 and it no longer recognizes the file. I tried following the workaround instructions at https://www.red-gate.com/hub/product-learning/sql-prompt/sql-prompt-formatting-styles-2 but it did not auto-convert the .sqlpromptstyle file.

I also tried renaming the file, and comparing our .sqlpromptstyle file to a new .sqlpromptstylev2 file, but the XML tags are completely different so I do not know where to start to convert the file over. I understand that are many more style options in SQL Prompt 8 but our team does not have time to recreate a style right now and all our code is now drastically changing whenever we format. Is there another way to convert the style file to .sqlpromptstylev2?

Thank you very much,
Deb
Tagged:

Answers

• Can you upload the file for someone to examine?
  • dhalldhall Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    I tried to attach the file in its original format (.sqlpromptstyle) and .xml but I received an error message each time that the file was not allowed. Therefore, I converted it to .txt and attached it.

Thank you very much and please let me know if you need any additional information.
  • I've got the file (BTW, upload as ZIP should work). The options are dramatically different as I look through them. I don't know that I can get a mapping from options such as 1 to Upper Case for the enums in the old styles today, but I've left a few messages with development to try and sort this out. When I look through your style, I can't quite tell what items to map across.

I'll update as soon as I can.
  • OK, I found a converter tool. Please try this style and let me know if it works.
    Thank you for the conversion. It still changed some things in our code but I am working on tweaking some settings to keep things as similar as possible.

One area in which I immediately see a discrepancy is regarding comment alignment. We often keep comment blocks (/* */) left-justified, but this version is automatically indenting them. I did not see an option in the style editing to keep comment blocks as is. Do you know if that is an option, or might I have missed it? Thanks again.
  • Hi @dhall,

Thanks for the suggestion. This isn't currently possible in SQL Prompt 8 but other users have reported it to UserVoice.

Would it be possible to vote for it on UserVoice?
    https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/94413-sql-prompt/suggestions/32113720-preserve-indentation

Best wishes,

Michael
    Michael Clark
    Technical Lead, SQL Monitor
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for the response and idea suggestion. The ticket you referenced did not fit our situation since it was regarding single-line comments versus multiple-line comment blocks (/* */), and the author mentioned wanting to indent it a certain way whereas we would like an option for no indentation whatsoever.

I did not see exactly what I was looking for within the current ideas; I also tried to use the search functionality but the results were full of many that were Declined or Completed, or were too vague. Therefore, I created a new idea for preserving the format of multiple-line comment blocks.

Unfortunately, our team cannot upgrade to SQL Prompt 8 until this issue is resolved because our product involves tens of thousands of lines of customer-facing SQL code with many multiple-line comment blocks left-aligned for consistency and readability. Additionally, each change we make needs to be justified to our customers, so massive formatting changes are problematic for us.

Thanks again,
    Deb
  • DevOpsGSCDevOpsGSC Posts: 5 New member
    OK, I found a converter tool. Please try this style and let me know if it works.
    How about supplying the "converter tool" so that others can make use of it?