Errors on starting SSMS

Hi all!

Just now I got a bunch of errors when I was starting SSMS (by double-clicking on a .ssmssln file). Not at all sure if this is related to having the SQL Toolbelt installed or not, but some of the error messages seemed to suggest a connection.

I did not track all the errors, but I did find the log file that the errors referred to, and I have attached it here. (I did have to rename it; it's an xml file but apparently the .xml extension is not allowed)

Cheers,
Hugo
--
Hugo Kornelis
(SQL Server MVP, 2006-2016 + 2019-now // Friend of Red Gate)

Best Answers

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Thanks for your post, Hugo, and so sorry to hear you're running into an issue!

It does look like the Redgate SSMS plugin packages are failing to load. The activity log shows a lot of errors that look like this:
    <source>VisualStudio</source>
        <description>SetSite failed for package [SqlSourceControlPackage]</description>
        <guid>{29D00CBC-D1F6-4F0A-9418-FC8454E3B4FE}</guid>
        <hr>80004003 - E_POINTER</hr>
        <errorinfo>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</errorinfo>

We have seen "SetSite failed for package x" before but not usually with the error code, "80004003 - E_POINTER". Can you kindly first try the workaround for the usual variation we see of this (when the error code is 80131604):

- Start SSMS
    - Connect to your server
    - Select “Window” from the top menu bar.
    - Select “Reset Window Layout”.
    - Answer “Yes” to the question confirming the layout reset.
    - Restart SSMS to test

Should that not help though, can you please try repairing each of the Redgate tools in case the installs are corrupted? Please let us know if that helps or not!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• HugoKornelisHugoKornelis Posts: 40 Bronze 5
    Closing this because the error went away all by itself.
    Thanks for looking into it!
    --
    Hugo Kornelis
    (SQL Server MVP, 2006-2016 + 2019-now // Friend of Red Gate)