Auto/Scheduled Commits?

MrTCSMrTCS Posts: 2
edited June 22, 2016 8:08AM in SQL Source Control
Is there a way of scheduling commits for database changes from SQL Source Control? We have yet to find a way but I was listening to a podcast the other day that made it sound possible. This would be extremely handy as we have too many databases to keep track of and manually commit changes every time.
Tagged:

Comments

• Sergio RSergio R Posts: 610 Rose Gold 5
    Hi,

SQL Source Control only allows interactive commits as it's meant to be used on development databases.

We do however have a DLM Automation solution that allows automatic deployment from the scripts folder managed by SQL Source Control.

For further information please read/see:

https://www.red-gate.com/products/dlm/dlm-automation/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lhBi2mkXrs

Thank you,
    Sergio
    Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Please see our Help Center for detailed guides on how to use our tools
  • Is there something similar but from databases to sql source control (development model: Shared)?
  • From the Database to your Version Control System, you would need to use SQL Source Control which only allows interactive commits using SSMS.

Thank you,
    Sergio
    Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Please see our Help Center for detailed guides on how to use our tools
  • First, you could potentially have a way of auto committing, but you'd just be capturing changes without any context. No comments. That's not necessarily a good way of performing development. In the past, I've used auto scripting to do this. I don't know that SQL Compare could be automated to do this, but I wouldn't recommend it. Instead, I'd say that you should really be using something like SQL Compare to look at the db v VCS and alert you that changes need to be committed.

In terms of dealing with a volume of changes. The person that makes the change should commit it when they think it's done. Auto committing is bad because the work might not be done. You want there to be some decision to do this. If you can't keep up, then perhaps you have other development chaos.
  • bailem2bailem2 Posts: 2 New member
    edited July 30, 2019 4:14PM
    In our case, we have a system that runs scripts in the database and has the note and knows when it's done.  We need a way to commit programatically.
  • We don't have a programmatic interface for SQL Source Control. This was built for interactive work with developers and there is no API.