SQL Search 2.4.4.1453 crashes SSMS 2017 (v17.2)

I was previously using SQL Search with SSMS 2016. A few weeks ago, I had to update to SSMS 2017 v17.2. Since then, SSMS regularly crashes when I try to initiate a new search with SQL Search. I have tried repairing SQL Search, repairing SSMS Integration Pack Framework 1, completely uninstalling, redownloading the latest version of SQL Search, and I still experience regular crashes. Is there anything else I can try in order to alleviate this issue?
Tagged:

Answers

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi @Aaron_Platt_Electric,

So sorry to hear about this! I believe we have a support ticket open for you- I've copied my response below:

I suspect you may be running into memory issues in ssms which are causing the crashes. This can happen because SQL Search runs within the SSMS process and is therefore limited to using the RAM that SSMS can access, which is capped at 2GB since it's a 32-bit process.

One thing you can try, is to use the Large Address Aware tool to increase the RAM available to ssms.exe. That tool will raise the cap to 4GB and hopefully that will eliminate the crashes.

So that we can first confirm if it is memory that's a problem though, can you kindly zip up and send across your log file sin %localappdata%\Red Gate\Logs\SQLSearch 2?

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?