Tab colors - how is server name specified for a local instance.

I have setup tab coloring for 3 instances. For my local instance development environment I have entered the server name as "(local)". The tab color never changes. I have tried various other ways of specifying the local instance but SQL Prompt does not recognize them or at least does not change the tab color.

I setup the tab coloring for a instance on a staging server and it works fine.

For our production instance, the tab coloring is not working. So ... not working on (local) and a production instance. Is there some trick to specifying default instance names? (The instance on the staging server is not a default).

Thanks!

Answers

• Hi @Kazoo60,
    are you trying to do so in a default instance SQL Server installation or a named one? In case of named instance, you've to enter (local)\INSTANCENAME. You could try also "." instead of "(local)".

Please try and let us know ;-)
    Alessandro Alpi
    CTO @ Engage IT Services s.r.l.
    Database Administrator and Team Leader
    Microsoft MVP - Data Platform
    Staff member of getlatestversion.it community
    personal website | blog
  • Kazoo60Kazoo60 Posts: 7 Bronze 2
    edited September 17, 2017 5:24PM
    Thanks @AlessandroAlpi for helping out.

I finally sorted it out and it was definitely a "user error on my part" :-)

The problem turned out to be the fact I typed "All databases" in the "Database" field. In order to have the color apply for all databases just leave it blank. SQL Prompt will show "All databases" in a greyed-out color.

You can specify the local server as simply "(local)". In fact, if you put your machine name or a "." in the "Server/Group" field, SQL Prompt changes it automatically to "(local)" if that is how you connected.