Collecting Profiling data from other machines?

Uwe KeimUwe Keim Posts: 46 Bronze 3
I do have a scenario where my Windows Forms application is fast on my development and profiling machine but slow on client machines.

Now I want to be able to measure the timing on the clients machines without buying additional profiling licenses and without installing the profiler on the client machines.

Question: Is there a way to record profiling data remotely and/or offline and inspect them locally on my profiling machine?

Thanks
Uwe

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Uwe,

Not without first installing ANTS Profiler on the other computer locally, I'm afraid. ANTS Profiler is not capable of instrumenting the code on remote computers. You could collect profiler results on the first computer, save the results to a file, and view the results file on the second computer, but you cannot profile code remotely.
  • Uwe KeimUwe Keim Posts: 46 Bronze 3
    But that would require that I would need to buy large amounts of Ants licenses, right?

That would be "one time licenses" that costs me a regular license for each machine where I need to profile, since I previously discovered that even uninstalling Ants on a machine does not decrease the activation counter on the servers.

Or is there a cheaper/free way that I currently do not see?
    Hi Uwe,

I think rather than get myself in trouble with the legal department, I can refer you to the licence agreement for ANTS Profiler. The information you need should be in there.

http://www.red-gate.com/products/ants_p ... icense.htm
    Would it be possible to ask a member of you legal departement whether Red Gate would be interested in providing assistance for such scenarios?

(Please note that this is not of top priority to me, but it would have already saved me from time to time)
    The way I understand the licence agreement, it entitles one user (a person) to use the software on one computer (installation). I would imagine if you wanted to use it on another computer, you would need to uninstall the software from the other computer first.
    Of course would I uninstall!

But since your Server activation only increases at activation but does not decrease upon uninstallation, I would run into a limitation.

Is there a way to decrease the counter upon deinstallation?
    Hi Uwe,

Yes, that's true. You would need to write sales@red-gate.com and have additional activations created.