Using SQL Prompt with two SSMS instances

I normally need to open multiple instances of SSMS. I found when I add a snippet in the first SSMS, it didn't show up in the second SSMS. If I add another snippet from the second SSMS, it didn't show up in first SSMS neither. This will make snippet management a mess. Is it possible to sync snippets between SSMS instances automatically?
Tagged:

Answers

• James RJames R Posts: 104 Silver 4
    Hey @ogrishman, thanks for the post.

If possible, can you give me some more information on this issue?
    • Do you have a custom snippets folder?
    • Where do the snippets not appear? In the snippets manager or just the suggestions box?

Thanks for the help!
    James
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • ogrishmanogrishman Posts: 81 Bronze 4
    • Do you have a custom snippets folder?
      Yes. It's a shared folder: \\vmware-host\Shared Folders\Snippets
      Most of the time I'm working in a VMware Workstation Virtual machine. The snippets folder is a shared folder in the host machine (not the virtual machine). So in SQL Prompt in the VM, I just use \\vmware-host\Shared Folders\Snippets to reference the shared folder.
    • Where do the snippets not appear? In the snippets manager or just the suggestions box?
      The snippets do not appear in both snippets manager and the suggestions box.
    Hmm, strange. I''ll have a go and see if I can reproduce it here and get back to you. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Thanks,
    James
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
    After trying some stuff out I've found an error - it looks like the snippets aren't being updated if a custom snippet folder is in use. I'll log it in our system and hopefully we'll have a fix soon.

Thanks for your help!
    James
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • ogrishmanogrishman Posts: 81 Bronze 4
    Thanks James.
    Hey @ogrishman ,

I've been looking at this again, and I think that while there's a few small fixes we can make here I don't think they'll help much.
    Unfortunately when we monitor a shared folder for file changes it can be unreliable, which is probably why you're seeing the issue so much.

I'm sorry I can't help more!
    James
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software