How to deobfuscate a Exception report caught in the Assembly which is obfuscated by SmartAssembly

Hi,

I have obfuscated a Windows forms application using SmartAssembly. I caught & writing the exceptions throws in the application to a file. I need to look into the exception message. As the application is obfuscated, the exceptions messages are not with the exact function names.

How to deobfuscate this exception messages ?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi @Petchi,

Unfortunately, no. :/

You need to use ASCII characters and a one-to-one renaming scheme as those ensure that there are readable characters for you to copy and paste into the decoder, and also makes sure that the obfuscated code gets decoded correctly. (SmartAssembly won't actually store any decoding information unless these options are used.)

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

Answers

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi @Petchi,

If you obfuscate using the "ASCII characters" option in conjunction with the "I want to use a one-to-one renaming scheme" option, then you'll be able to use the Decode stack trace feature to deobfuscate the exception messages.

Hope that helps!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• PetchiPetchi Posts: 6 New member
    Hi Jessica,

Thank you for your response.

I have obfuscated using "I want to obfuscate using Unicode unprintable characters and advanced renaming algorithm" option in conjunction with "I want to use advanced renaming, so that fields of a different type can have the same name".

Is there any solution to decode the exception stack trace for the above obfuscation options?

Thanks.