Doubling the columns

bsawyerbsawyer Posts: 4
edited January 16, 2007 10:01AM in SQL Log Rescue
I bought the SQL Log Rescue to correct the mistake that someone made on one of our production boxes. They deleted all the tables. I restored from the back up that had only happened a couple of hours earlier, but before I did that I also backed up the transaction log again, so I could restore up to the time they deleted the tables. The only problem I have getting is that the SQL output of the program has every column twice. IE if one of the tables has a column called "MyNumber" then the output would have "Insert Into Foo (MyNumber, MyNumber) Values (1,1)".

Does anyone have ANY idea what is causing this?

Thanks,
Benji

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Benji,

Thanks for posting. I certainly haven't seen anything like this before. I'll pass this on to the development people and see if they have a sensible explanation. It may come down to getting a copy of the database.

Some things to think about (ie things that Log Rescue doesn't like) schema changes in the database, changes in recovery model, or corrupted backup files or log (lDF) files. Has this database had any of these things done to it?
  • There haven't been any schema changes. What happened is I accidentally deleted the tables in one of our production databases. Before I did anything else I backed up the log file. I was then able to restore that from a backup made much earlier in the day. I took a more recent backup, that I couldn't get applied on the server, and applied it to a development copy of the database. I then tried to use the software to apply the changes that happened after the backup but before I dropped the tables.

Upon closer inspection I also noticed that the record information (sorry, I'm typing this from home) that appears on the bottom of the screen when you select a item in the top part of the screen, also has every column twice. When you clicked on the second column, for instance, to get information out of it for a long text field, it threw an exception (I think it was a null value one).

Hope this helps out some.

Thanks,
    Benji
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Benji,

In the project settings, have you included the full backup as well as the log backup?
  • I selected both the full backup (which includes a backup of the data and transaction log) and just the backup of the log I took when I realized my mistake