SQL Backup features/pricing

wehnertbwehnertb Posts: 2
edited January 12, 2007 8:23PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I really appreciate that you have put together a Lite version of SQL Backup. I think that is a huge step toward allowing people the ability to backup their systems (especially developers) when they are small shops.

What I would REALLY like to see in the feature set for the LITE product, is the ability to restore encrypted databases.

I work on a team of six developers and our database is 30gb in size (uncompressed). We have the Pro version installed on production, but it would be great if we could have the Lite versions installed locally so that we could bring the production database to our development environment to work on.

I know that we can extract the encrypted backup through your command line tool, but that 30gb DB takes a LONG time to restore - with SQL Backup, it's a fraction of that time.

I don't care if the Lite version can't compress on the way out, that should be an upgrade to the Standard if you really need that. But for restoring, that would be a huge help (and it would have to do the top level encryption so that you can restore from the pro version).

Just food for thought since you're working on version 5. I would think that this would be a small thing to turn on in the LITE and would be a big help to all of us on the development end.
As for me and my house, I will serve the Lord.

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi

Thank you for your suggestion, I will highlight your post into the forum to the SQL Backup Development Team.

Hopefully the abilty to restore an encrypted SQL Backup file will be avaialble in a future version of the application.

Eddie Davis
    Red Gate Software
    Technical Support
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    The version 4 lite edition does allow you to restore encrypted backups. You can restore both version 3 and version 4 encrypted backups.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8