Failed to create VirtualDeviceSet component

mfmf Posts: 26
edited January 15, 2007 12:15PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

we're testing out sql backup trial on some systems here to decide if to buy it. But i fails on one of the systems when doing a backup from the GUI:
<servernameX>
SQL Backup 4.6.0.815 - Trial edition (14 days remaining)
Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.2039 (Intel IA-64)
May 3 2005 23:34:52
Copyright (c) 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation
Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 1)
Product level : SP4
Language : English (United States)
Collation : SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
Platform : NT INTEL IA64
Processor count : 2
Processor mask : 3
Physical memory : 8143 MB
Time zone : GMT+01:00

The error message is the same for all retries (except for attempt number), and is:
Warning 300: Backup failed. Retry attempt: 1
VDI error 1030: Failed to create VirtualDeviceSet component. Check that SQLVDI.DLL is registered, and that you have rights to use that COM library. Error code: (-2147024770: )

Then finally it says:
SQL Backup exit code: 1030

I've tried running the service as different users, amongst them a local administrator on the server. So I don't think it is due to rights.

-Magne

PS: I did mail this to support, but got no reply, so I thought the forum might be better (and might help others if someone has the same problem).

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    SQL Backup uses a COM library provided by Microsoft SQL Server to perform backups and restores. Sometimes, this library is unregistered (intentionally or otherwise), which will cause the error you encountered.

Using regedit, can you check if the following key

{40700425-0080-11d2-851f-00c04fc21759}

exists in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT?

If not, you need to register the library manually. Look for the latest version (if using both SQL 2000 and SQL 2005) of sqlvdi.dll on your machine (default location is C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\COM\sqlvdi.dll), and register it via the command line e.g.

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\COM\sqlvdi.dll"
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Forgot to write that I had checked that. :)
    It was registered on this one:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlvdi.dll

A search in the system finds only this one:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlvdi.dll

But by browsing I also find this one:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlvdi.dll

Registering the one in x86 doesn't work, registering the other one works.

But it still fails with the same message trying to do the backup.

When installing I used the same installer as on the x86 and x64 systems we have, with no error messages. Should it have worked out of the box on IA64 also?

-magne
    If I recall correctly, there are possibly two versions of regsvr32, one for IA64 and another for x86 files, which may explain why registering the x86 version of sqlvdi.dll failed.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • That's right, theres one in system32 and one in syswow64.
    But no matter which one I use, I still get The specified module could no be found when trying to register the one in x86.

:(

-Magne
    The library is registered, otherwise the SQL Backup Agent would not have started.

Is the error code -2147024770 for all the backup attempts, including the first one? Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Yes,

here's the feedback I get:

Backing up import (full database) to:
    E:\FULL_(local)_import_20070105_123959.sqb

<snipped memory profile>

Warning 300: Backup failed. Retry attempt: 1
    VDI error 1030: Failed to create VirtualDeviceSet component. Check that SQLVDI.DLL is registered, and that you have rights to use that COM library. Error code: (-2147024770: )

<snipped memory profile>

Warning 300: Backup failed. Retry attempt: 2

<snipped memory profile>

Warning 300: Backup failed. Retry attempt: 3

<snipped memory profile>

Warning 300: Backup failed. Retry attempt: 4

<snipped memory profile>

SQL Backup exit code: 1030

Thanks for your fast replies :)

-Magne
    The error code indicates that 'The object is now closed.'. At this point, I can only guess that there is a compatibility problem with sqlvdi.dll.

Could you pls provide me the following details:

- in the registry, there should be another entry for {40700425-0080-11d2-851f-00c04fc21759}, in the Wow64 node. This should point to the 32-bit version of sqlvdi.dll. Can you give me the path of the file, and also the version number?

- which version(s) of SQL Server (+ service pack levels) are you running on this machine?

- what version of the Windows OS are you running (+ service pack level)?

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • The sql server version and OS version is as stated in the first posting:
    Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.2039 (Intel IA-64)
    Product level : SP4

Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack1)
    Platform : NT INTEL IA64

I'll get the other information you need during the weekend.

:)

-Magne
  • The one in the WOW64 node points to:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlvdi.dll
    That one is version:

The same as in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlvdi.dll

-Magne
    The file versions look ok.

Do you encounter the same error if you were to run the command line version, using an Administrator account?
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • It fails then to with the same message in the console.
    But I get a new message in a messagebox that says something like:
    "..msvcr71.dll was not found"......

-magne
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Thanx! :)

I googled but didnt find that one. :)

I'll check this one out, and post a reply here afterwards.

-Magne
  • Quick update:
    Mailed microsoft to get the hotfix.
    Got at call 2 minutes later from a lady telling me there was no such hotfix for itanium. Opposed to what the KB article said, but she would send it further down the system to see if one could be available....

Weird weird weird.

-Magne
  • They later contacted me again, and told me about this cumulative patch which should solve this KB problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -US;916287

So i'll test that one tonight and give you feedback.

-magne
    That's a lot of 'updates' in that patch. If that's a production box, you are one brave DBA!
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • hehehe, nope, it's just a development box, thats why it's perfect to test the whole update. :)

They had just the needed hotfix alone if I wanted to have that one.
    Which is more likely to be used on the production systems, until this cumulative patch has been more tested. :)

-Magne
  • This cumulative update solved the problem. :)

Thanks for your help!

-Magne
    Thanks for the updates.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • yet another update. there seems to be a problem obtaining just the hotfix.
    The hotfix for only this error is only available for French, German, and japanese. If on an English version as we are, the only option is the cumulative update that I wrote about earlier, which worked here.

-Magne
  • We have the same situation but on a ia64 production box. Has anyone heard if/when MS will release a sp5?

We have 2 ia64 production servers and it works on one and not the other.
    The OP (Magne) was using an IA64 box too. Do you mean that applying the patch solves the issue on one box but not the other?
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • No, it worked on one of the ia64 boxes without needing any fix. The only difference in the two, that I can think of, is the box that works has sql 2005 installed on it too.
    Have you tried applying the cumulative hotfix?
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • No, I'm not sure if I want to since it is a production server. Any idea when/if there will be a sp5?
  • When I was in contact with MS this cumulative patch was the only solution.
    They did not say anything about SP5. There was a hotfix for this problem alone, but that was only available in a few languages.

The server we've been running on has not had any problems yet, but it is a test-server. Though it is used daily, quite intensively.

-Magne