Cant install SQL Search in SSMS if already installed in VS 2017

I am trying to install SQL Search 2.4 in SSMS 17 and I am stuck in 'Already Installed" setup screen.
I do have SQL Search in VS 2017.
Tried to uninstall in VS, but still got same message in setup.
Please fix in next release.
Thank you.
P.S. Also, looks like SQL Search 2.4 now requires registration/login with Redgate?
Tagged:

Comments

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi and thanks for your post!

Can you please try doing a repair of SQL Search?

When it repairs, it should pick up on the SSMS 2017 install, and then a SQL Search folder should be created for the extension in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Extensions.

Please let us know if that helps or not!

(Regarding the login, most of our tools do now require this before you use them. You'll just need to create a Redgate ID to login with if you don't have one already.)

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Just tried repair, it didn't help. I still get 'Already installed'.
    I also tried to copy files from another PC to \Extensions\SQLSearch. Now I have SQL Search button in SSMS 17.1, but button doesn't work.
    Another PC has no VS 2017, only SSMS 17.1. SQL Search works there.
    Thank you
    Sorry to hear that!

Just to confirm-- the "already installed" error comes up when you're running a repair from Programs and Features? Can you please share a screenshot of the error?

What version of SQL Search is currently installed?

• Cotex1Cotex1 Posts: 2
    edited June 16, 2017 8:49AM
    I am having the same issue. Am running SSMS v17.1 and am trying to install sql search 2.4. Below is a link of the error message am getting. r69t4dujyhpf.jpg

This is just straight when i click on the exe. Currently i have SQL Search v2
    Hi @Cotex1, sorry to hear you're running into this as well!

Can you kindly try finding the command to uninstall SQL Search from your registry:

- Open your registry with regedit and go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall key
    - From there, please search through under that key for "SQL Search" and locate the subkey that contains the DisplayName value "SQL Search" and take note of the UninstallString value (similar to below)
    akltflphpxu2.png
    - Please then open a command prompt running as administrator and then try running the UninstallString value which will hopefully successfully uninstall SQL Search

Can you please then try running the latest installer again?

@vfrenkel Please give this a try as well if repairing the tool did not help for you!

• TomLTomL Posts: 13 Bronze 2
    Hi,
    same issue for me. I cannot install SQL Search, because it says it is already installed.

I've tried installing the SQL Toolbelt trial. Same problem with SQL Search.
    I've tried uninstalling SSMS and Visual Studio. Same problem.
    I've tried running the UninstallString proposed by Jessica, same problem. It seems even the uninstall does not work properly. Dialog pops up, but the dialog with the progress bar closes very quickly with any interaction.

Now my Notebook is actually in a kind of state, where I cannot uninstall certain Redgate products at all anymore.
    The show up again after uninstalling them from the Control Panel.
    In particular, I cannot uninstall following Redgate products (which have been all installed by the Toolbelt trial):
    - SQL Prompt 8
    - SQL Data Generator 3
    - SQL Doc 3
    - SQL Test 1
    - SQL Dependency Tracker 2
    - SQL Search 2
    - SSMS Integration Pack 1

I was seriously considering buying SQL Prompt, because it's actually the best product out there. But as it is now, I will not.
    I hope my Windows is not screwed up, because of this situation.

BR,
    Tom
  • Jessica R wrote: »
    Hi @Cotex1, sorry to hear you're running into this as well!

Can you kindly try finding the command to uninstall SQL Search from your registry:

- Open your registry with regedit and go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall key
    - From there, please search through under that key for "SQL Search" and locate the subkey that contains the DisplayName value "SQL Search" and take note of the UninstallString value (similar to below)
    akltflphpxu2.png
    - Please then open a command prompt running as administrator and then try running the UninstallString value which will hopefully successfully uninstall SQL Search

Can you please then try running the latest installer again?

@vfrenkel Please give this a try as well if repairing the tool did not help for you!

@Jessica R Thanks a lot, i did exactly what you said, restarted it and it now works.
    @Cotex1 I'm so glad to hear that helped and so sorry to @TomL that the issues have persisted for you!

I'm going to open a support ticket for you, Tom, so that we can look further into this.

• Jessica R wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that!

Just to confirm-- the "already installed" error comes up when you're running a repair from Programs and Features? Can you please share a screenshot of the error?

What version of SQL Search is currently installed?

"already installed" comes when I run SQL Search 2.4 installer after repair from Programs and Features. Screenshot see Cotex1 post.

I have moved to another PC, installed SQL Search in SSMS 1st then in VS2017 and I am ok now.

Thank you
    Thanks for the update @vfrenkel, glad to hear you've got things working on the new machine and sorry again for the troubles on the original one!

Please let us know if anything else comes up.

• LakshmanLakshman Posts: 1 New member
    Hi,
    I have installed the SQL search for my SSMS 2016,  due to my local SSMS upgrade I have uninstalled Redgate- SQL search.

now I'm trying to re-install  but I couldn't, I'm getting this message. Do you have any solution ?
    D
    Hi @Lakshman,

Sorry to hear you're running into an issue! There are likely some keys that get left for some reason after a previous uninstall.

Could you please check your registry for the following key and delete it if it still exists?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SQL Search 3

Should that not help, can you please try running the msi instead:
    • Launch the SQL Search installerby running it as administrator
    • Once it loads, click on the Redgate icon at the top left of the installer and choose "Open temporary file folder"
    • Open the SQL Search folder and locate the SQL Search_3.2.7.2379_x86 msi file
    • Open a command prompt running as administrator and then run the following (making sure to change the temporary path and logfile location as needed): msiexec /i "c:\temporary\file\path\SQL Search\SQL Search_3.2.7.2379_x86.msi" /L*V "c:\logfile.log" ADDLOCAL=ALL
    • If it installs without error, please open SSMS to check if the SQL Search icon is there

• MoriGMoriG Posts: 1 New member
    To anyone who came across this issue as well, I also got stuck in a loop where the repair did not work and it was not possible to reinstall it from all sorts of installer reasons (Install already found etc')

I manualy cleared the registry of any "SQL Search" references and then the installer could proceed correctly.

Great tool btw :)