SQL 2005 & 2016 support

We just added support for SQL 2016 and are currently running into the error below when trying to update the database. It appears we will need to upgrade to at least v5.1 in order to support SQL 2016 but I see you have stopped supporting SQL 2005. By stopping support do you mean you will not longer resolve issues regarding a SQL 2005 setup or have you removed the logic to support SQL 2005. If I were to upgrade to 5.1 would this version still have a chance of working as it always had for our SQL 2005 instance? Currently running v11.1.2.54.

RunRedGateDatabaseUpdateProcess( ): Red gate script could not be run because of RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.SqlCompareException: A duplicate object name has been found. This may occur if the SQL Server that you are registering is case sensitive but the case sensitive option is not set. ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: We don't have DMV queries available for SqlServer2008
Parameter name: ServerMajorVersion
Tagged:

Comments

• Hello,

From the error message you are seeing, it looks like you hit a bug in an old version of the SQL Compare Engine, which was fixed in version 11.2. You should be just fine using the latest version of SQL Compare, which supports connecting to SQL Server 2005 through 2017.

I've asked the SQL Source Control team what their dropped support for SQL 2005 means, and they said they stop testing against versions of SQL Server once Microsoft's extended support period has passed. They're not aware of any problems, but they are unlikely to fix 2005-specific issues if they occur.

As an aside, SQL Source Control will stop working in SSMS 2008 before long. This should not be a problem for you as it's possible to administer older databases using the latest SSMS.

It would probably be best to download the latest version of SQL Source Control and check that it works for yourself - we'd love to know whether it does the job well.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • Horizon67Horizon67 Posts: 7 New member
    Afternoon, Thanks so much for the quick and detailed response. I took your suggestion and upgraded to v11.2 and while I was able to get past the Error previously mentioned I did run into a new error below regarding an index (v11.2). I then decided to go ahead and try the latest and greatest you have with v12
    but now I'm running into an issue where it appears i'm trying to reference a version of a file that I don't have from the Engine. I checked the version that was in the v12 toolbelt for the RedGate.Shared.ComparisonInterfaces.dll but the version there is v1.0.4.5 and the earliest version we have archived locally is v1.0.2.221. If you could help me get past either one of these errors I would certainly appreciate any light you can shed. Thanks!

v12 error = Could not load file or assembly 'RedGate.Shared.ComparisonInterfaces, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

v11.2 error = Red gate script could not be run because of RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.SqlCompareException: A duplicate object name has been found. This may occur if the SQL Server that you are registering is case sensitive but the case sensitive option is not set. ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.Parameter name: index
  • Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Hi Horizon67,

We have logged a support ticket for you and will email you shortly!
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • Horizon67Horizon67 Posts: 7 New member
    Good Morning, I have sent in examples of what was asked of me back on 6/12 & 6/26 and inquired about those examples on 7/11 but have heard nothing but crickets. I need an update on this case and if it is either being looked at or intends to be reviewed at some point. Thanks!
  • Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Hi Jimmy,

I do apologise for the delay in getting back to you.

We are looking into this and should have an update shortly.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com