Options

Version 8 slower than Version 7

SystemSystem Posts: 10 New member
This discussion was created from comments split from: Latest stable build of SQL Prompt is 8.0.0.1241 (11th May).
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    The new version seems to be significantly slower than 7.x Is it just me or is anyone else experiencing the same issue?
  • Options
    I had to return back to 7.5. Version 8 is just crazy slow... :s
  • Options
    Hi dewet,

Would it be possible to tell us a little more about what features were slower and when you experienced the slowdown?

Best wishes,

Michael Clark
    Technical Lead, SQL Prompt
    Michael Clark
    Technical Lead, SQL Monitor
  • Options
    TomCTomC Posts: 3 Bronze 1
    Me too. Details below but this is painful since the update to v8.

Love the product but it's made it almost unusable.

SQL Prompt version 8.0.0.1241
    Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio: 13.0.16106.4
  • Options
    TomCTomC Posts: 3 Bronze 1
    Edit: just to clarify. The loading of suggestions is what's slow. But the biggest problem is that this causes the actual typing speed to lag making it extremely frustrating to use.

• Options
    Hi Michael,
    just as TomC said - suggestion is slow and even writing inside query is slow (I write letters and it lags few ms until they appear) => absolutely unusable (same in SSMS 2017 and 2016).
    Even snippets are no recognized, when you write text too fast (like ssf or so).
    Please, do sth about it.
  • Options
    Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Hi dewet,

I have logged a support ticket for you and will email you shortly!
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    JColtonJColton Posts: 4 Bronze 1
    I believe it was actually one of the version 8 point releases where I noticed the sluggishness, not the initial version 8 release.

Your download old versions of products page is missing v7.5 btw, which I will be rolling back to (since I have the installer in my download folder, luckily).
  • Options
    I can confirm uninstalling v8 and reinstalling 7.5.1.1000 resolves the issue. I'm using SSMS 2012. (Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 11.0.5058.0).
  • Options
    CMeeseCMeese Posts: 7 Bronze 1
    edited June 3, 2017 2:57PM
    Same here. The suggestion lists in v8 are crazy slow and it makes the product unusable. I just removed v8 and rolled back to 7.1 (why can't I download 7.5?).

I take that back. I'm using SSMS 2016, and Prompt 7.1 does not work. Since I can't download a previous version later than 7.1 (7.2 was the first version that supported SSMS 2016), I now have to reinstall Prompt v8 and deal with the crazy slow performance. UGH!!

Please RedGate fix this soon!
  • Options
    Hi CMeese,

Sorry to hear you are also experiencing a slowdown. You can download 7.5.1.1000 directly here:
    http://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLPrompt/SQLPrompt_7.5.1.1000.exe

Best,
    Michael
    Michael Clark
  • Options
    I'd like to second this. 8.0.1.1383 has seriously slowed down pretty much all intellisense/suggestions. I have only tested within ssms2016 (13.0.16106.4), but the user community here is pretty unanimous.
  • Options
    Hi mhickin,

Thanks for the feedback, we want to understand what could be causing the slowdown.

Would it be possible to be specific at the precise moments where the slowness occurs?
    e.g. is it when you accept the suggestion or when the suggestions list loads?

Best,
    Michael
    Michael Clark
  • Options
    James RJames R Posts: 104 Silver 4
    Hi @dewet, @TomC, @JColton, @CMeese, @mhickin ,

We've just released a new build of SQL Prompt (8.0.3.1587) that contains some performance improvements for suggestions. I hope you can try it out and let us know how it is performing now, or if there's any more we can do.

Thanks,
    James
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    I have only done a quick test, but the issue seems to be resolved. :smile:

Thanks!