VS 2017

martindmartind Posts: 2
Will be .NET Reflector compatible with VS 2017?
Tagged:

Comments

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi @martind,

Thanks for your post!

The current version doesn't support VS 2017, but I will post here once I have a timeline for a supported version.

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• drolevardrolevar Posts: 5 New member
    +1

Started using VS2017 and Reflector is strongly missed.
  • JamesNKJamesNK Posts: 1 New member
    +1

I'm missing the Reflector VS plugin in VS2017.
  • tesuritesuri Posts: 1 New member
  • ReneLReneL Posts: 1 New member
    Hi folks,

I contacted Red Gate Support some weeks ago and got the following info:
    <<<
    Hi René

We are actually planning to make .Net Reflector compatible with VS2017 in May.

>>>

Hope that helps, as there seems to be a timeline for a release supporting VS 2017.
  • Russell DRussell D Posts: 1,324 Diamond 5
    edited April 24, 2017 12:54PM
    Hi, as @ReneL has said we were hoping to have this available in May, and we're currently working on this right now.

Unfortunately, we've hit a bug in Visual Studio 2017, which prevents installing in silent mode which of course our installers do (see https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/26008/vs-2017-rtm-vsixinstaller-cannot-find-setup-engine.html - Microsoft say they've fixed it in a preview build, but we need it in a release build).

We're examining other options but at present until this is fixed by a Visual Studio 2017 patch, we won't be able to install our addins into it. So, whilst we'll endeavour to get this ready and tested for May we are waiting for the release of VS 15.2.
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • BluecareBluecare Posts: 4 New member
    Hi Russell, thank you for your information.

I understand that the VS15 Extension is ready but for the bug in VSIXInstaller.

May I be so presumptuous to ask whether I, and other willing and eager parties, could have early access to the VS15 Extension. Having to complete a few manual / GUI steps would be a small price to pay to have access to our favourite VS Extension (for which we have already paid)?
    edited April 27, 2017 10:46AM
    @Bluecare I'm afraid the plugin just isn't ready for public consumption yet in any form - we're still working on things that are causing us headaches other than just the Visual Studio Bug. I will keep you updated as much as possible though, and if we get a testable beta out I will definitely ask you to try it out.
    Russell D wrote: »
    @Bluecare I'm afraid the plugin just isn't ready for public consumption yet in any form - we're still working on things that are causing us headaches other than just the Visual Studio Bug. I will keep you updated as much as possible though, and if we get a testable beta out I will definitely ask you to try it out.

Thank you for your response. I very much look forward to joining your Beta testers.
    +1
    Waiting for it!
  • RamblinWreckRamblinWreck Posts: 1 Bronze 1
    VS 2017 update 2 is out. Looking forward to reflector update.
  • Waiting for it, too :) Was about to buy the 2015-version, glad I didn't do it, as I updated to vs2017 just after evaluating reflector. Will be buying it whenever you're ready :)
  • pi3k14pi3k14 Posts: 3 New member
    @Russell D any update on this?
    VS 2017, v15.2 was released some time ago, and a preview of v15.3 was released on the 18th
    Update?
  • No further updates for the time being but they will be posted here when we do. I appreciate how frustrating this is for you and apologise that I can't offer more information at this time.
  • Hello,
    Is it possible to integrate Net Reflector into Visual Studio 2017?
    Thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Silver 1
    edited June 14, 2017 12:52PM
    Hi @edipper

I've merged your question into the existing thread for this question.

You can subscribe to updates on the existing thread by pressing the Star icon at the top right of the post. Depending on your notification settings in your profile you can either choose to be emailed or notified by a popup on the forum when there is an update.
  • Lord02Lord02 Posts: 2 Bronze 1
    Any news on this? It's 15th of June now and you said Vs2017 would be supported in May, really frustrating that you're still lacking VS2017 support. Loads of tools, e.g. ReSharper has been working with Vs2017 from it's initial release ... you're way way behind guys!?
  • I'm afraid not at the moment. We haven't forgotten about the issue but don't have any updates yet. I will update this thread when there are new developments.
    Hi Pete,

As a community of developers who, evidently, spend, at least, some of their time learning and analysing third-party code, we may be well poised to help you with working around the third-party bug that Russell D mentioned earlier.

On the other hand, if third-party bugs are no longer the cause for this delay but internal to yourselves then, I expect you'll agree that, as paying customers, we deserve, at the very least, a full and detailed explanation for the delay in delivering a timely update to the product that we are paying ongoing subscription. Or, of-course, a pro rata refund for the time that we have been unable to use the product in a manner that would have been reasonable to expect; i.e. with VS 2017, once given sufficient time to have migrated your code base to be compatible. And, seeing that countless other vendors have had little trouble doing just that, by the time VS 2017 was RTM, we should have expected the same or similar for yourselves.

Looking forward to your enlightening and timely response,

Kind regards.
  • saffysaffy Posts: 5 New member
    +1
    Wish I'd known it didn't work before I'd moved everything over to 2017.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Silver 1
    edited June 23, 2017 1:52PM
    Hi all,

Some news for you all. We're now planning on increasing the size of our .NET team to get this and other issues fixed and maintain the product going forward. I don't have a timescale but hopefully will be able to give you more details again in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again for your patience whilst we get this fixed. I will update as soon as I know more.
    edited July 26, 2017 1:01PM
    Hi Pete, I know it won't feel nice to have words put into your mouth. However, I can't fail to understand from what you've written that the .NET team has been under-resourced and that .Net Reflector has not been fully maintained until now.

Do you have so few subscribers paying an ONGOING subscription that you've been unable to fund ONGOING development, or at the very least, maintenance?!

I repeat my call for a pro rata refund to all your subscribers for the time that we have been unable to use the product in a manner that would have been reasonable to expect; i.e. with VS 2017, once given sufficient time to have migrated your code base to be compatible. And, seeing that countless other vendors have had little trouble doing just that, by the time VS 2017 was RTM, we should have expected the same or similar for yourselves.

Looking forward to something more tangible than news,

kind regards.
  • ptkptk Posts: 1 New member
    Hi Pete,
    I wan't to join Bluecares position. It is not tolerable that we have to wait for a product that we have learnded to use and payed support fees for such a long time.
    It's more than a month since your last post!
    Please let us know if the update is definitely going to be delivered in Q3. By that time we have to decide on prolongation of the support contract.
    Kind regards, Peter
  • This is now available on the Visual Studio 2017 (and Visual Studio 2015) gallery.

ysu3aostya0x.png
    Automatic update doesn't seem to work (have installed beta 9.1.0.110)
    edited August 21, 2017 2:58PM
    Hmm I can't reproduce that, but I'll try again in a VM.

An inconvenience I know but does removing/installing fresh work for you?
  • fandreifandrei Posts: 12 Bronze 1
    edited August 21, 2017 3:40PM
    Auto update doesn't work for me either. Currently installed 9.0
    Russell D wrote: »
    An inconvenience I know but does removing/installing fresh work for you?

I installed the new version, then I had to remove the old version.
    It seems like you have used at different product code in the installer.
  • fandrei wrote: »
    Auto update doesn't work for me either. Currently installed 9.0
    Which build?