Unable to install/uninstall/update SQL Search in Visual Studio 2017

On 2017-04-29, when I opened Visual Studio 2017 Enterprise, the notification indicator told me that there was an update to SQL Search available, so I clicked update, closed Visual Studio 2017 as requested, waited for the VSIX installer to finish running, only to have it tell me it encountered an error. I tried using the Visual Studio 2017 installer to try to uninstall SQL Search, hoping that would allow me to perform a fresh install. Although the Visual Studio 2017 installer seemed to go smoothly, a subsequent launch of Visual Studio 2017 showed the same update available indicator and yet another failure when I tried again. Not even running Visual Studio 2017 as Administrator helps. Same exact failure. Here's the log:

4/29/2017 9:37:06 AM - Microsoft VSIX Installer
4/29/2017 9:37:06 AM -
4/29/2017 9:37:06 AM - vsixinstaller.exe version:
4/29/2017 9:37:06 AM - 15.0.26403.7 built by: D15SVC
4/29/2017 9:37:06 AM -
4/29/2017 9:37:06 AM - Command line parameters:
4/29/2017 9:37:06 AM - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\Common7\IDE\vsixinstaller.exe,/appidinstallpath:C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe,/skuName:Enterprise,/skuVersion:15.0.26403.7,/appidname:Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2017,C:\Users\Fred\AppData\Local\Temp\VSIXhecofdbx.vsix,/installas:2272,/callingprocessid:5860
<middle portion snipped to get under post max characters limit>
4/29/2017 9:37:45 AM - Install Error : System.InvalidOperationException: The VSIX's catalog does not include a 'Component' which is required for install/uninstall.
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionEngineImpl.PerformSetupEngineUnInstall(IInstalledExtension extension)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionEngineImpl.UninstallInternal(IInstalledExtension extension, Boolean forceDelete, Version targetedVSVersion)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionEngineImpl.CommitInstalledAndUninstalledExtensions(IEnumerable`1 installedExtensions, IEnumerable`1 uninstalledExtensions, IEnumerable`1 packComponentChanges, Version targetedVSVersion)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionEngineImpl.BeginInstall(IInstallableExtension installableExtension, InstallFlags installFlags, AsyncOperation asyncOp)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionEngineImpl.InstallWorker(IInstallableExtension extension, InstallFlags installFlags, AsyncOperation asyncOp)
Tagged:

Comments

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Thanks for your post and so sorry to hear you're running into an issue!

Just to confirm, have you tried uninstalling SQL Search alone from Tools>Extensions and Updates? Can you kindly try uninstalling SQL Search from there? If that uninstalls successfully, does running the vsix file for the latest version (available here - https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=vs-publisher-306627.RedgateSQLSearch) then succeed?

(We've seen a similar error with one of our other tools that was due to an issue in VS that wouldn't allow the tool to update, but it would work if you uninstalled and then installed the update as a new install.)

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• I am having the same problem. I can neither update or uninstall it.

Can you please advise how to uninstall the extension?
    Hi all,

To resolve this issue, please uninstall Visual Studio 2017 and then reinstall.

Thank you to @PKonstant for his assistance with this!

• @Jessica R is there no other workaround for fixing an extension other than installing Visual Studio 2017?
    Hi @jamestupper, not that I'm aware of, unfortunately. :/

To confirm though, is it the exact same error that you're seeing in the vsix installer log?

Have you already tried just uninstalling it from Extensions and Updates with no luck?

What's the exact version of VS 2017 that you have installed?