Dacpac option has disappeared

l570l570 Posts: 16 Bronze 1
I'm working with a new ReadyRoll Project and I'm looking at changing up our build process. I switched over to the Project Settings and I noticed that the Dacpac option no longer shows up, just sqlcmd and octopus. Anyone know why this happened and how I can get dacpac back?

upi0aaexfufy.png

Tagged:

Comments

• Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Hi there,

Thanks for the post!

We are looking into this and will update you shortly!
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Hi there,

Thanks for your patience.

Unfortunately Dacpac was removed in our latest version and hence you don't see this a an option.

Hope this helps!
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • l570l570 Posts: 16 Bronze 1
    So I was looking over the release notes and I don't see a mention of this removal. I'm not particularly married to using dacpacs, but I am curious as to why it was removed.
  • l570 wrote: »
    So I was looking over the release notes and I don't see a mention of this removal. I'm not particularly married to using dacpacs, but I am curious as to why it was removed.

Unfortunately we needed to discontinue DACPAC support as part of the integration of Redgate Data Tools into Visual Studio 2017, in order to prevent our version of DacFX conflicting with that of the SSDT project system. Apologies that the release notes do not reflect this change in the product.

If you would still like to include DACPAC generation as part of the build, then is a way that you can add this to your project's build process, using the SqlPackage utility from Microsoft.

To output a DACPAC as part of the build, firstly uncheck the following option on the Debug tab of the project designer: Skip Shadow database deployment when building inside Visual Studio (the shadow database is a canonical representation is your project migrations, making it suitable for extracting a DACPAC from the project).

Then, on the Build Events tab, include a call within the Post-Build command to SqlPackage.exe to extract a DACPAC from the shadow database. You can specify the $(FinalShadowDatabase) and $(FinalShadowConnectionString) variable to dynamically source the shadow database connection info as part of the command arguments.

The SqlPackage.exe tool itself is available as part of SSDT/SQL Server:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/hh550080.aspx

I hope this helps! Any questions please let me know

Daniel Nolan
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software