Backup to Amazon S3 Storage using Backup Pro 9

jcricegpjcricegp Posts: 18 Bronze 3
I am testing the new release of Backup Pro Version 9 copying the backup files to Amazon S3 Storage. Backing up from the interface or command line (using parameter COPYTO_HOSTED) the file is only copied to the root of the S3 Bucket Name. The command line executable 'SQBHostedStorageClient' provides a parameter to copy the file to a Directory created in the S3 Bucket.

Is this parameter available to the interface or command line backup script?

Thanks,
Tagged:

Comments

• FleetDZFleetDZ Posts: 6 New member
    Same experience and challenge here. Sorry that I have no answer but hopefully my +1 gets this some love.

I was hoping to use some automated transitioning with differing tiers and expiration based upon db type/content.

Tried even a custom naming but all my jobs are >1 db, so the "server setting" override becomes worthless to differentiate 40% of your backups. And breaking out 40% to run as independent jobs isn't a worthwhile solution just for the custom naming.
    Just wanted to add a followup, been beating this up a lot as of late.

In the red-gate documentation you defer to AWS for the life-cycle management of anything uploaded.

The shortfall truly is what jcricegp mentioned above. Without dirs the AWS life-cycle management is near useless. As the only filtering options are: file prefix (dirs) or file tags.

If you can set distinct tags per each job, that would be a huge step or choose a dir as mentioned.

The AWS life-cycle, without filtering, since you can only have 1 bucket, then just universally applies to the entire bucket the same. Even though clearly not all backups are the same in terms of expiration needs while all still require multi-site redundancy.
  • Thanks for your feedback, everyone. We're currently assessing the best way to resolve this issue - hopefully we'll be able to get back to you soon.
    Tech Lead, SQL Toolbelt
    Redgate Software
    Thank you for the prompt feature add! And for even giving both possible options to setup AWS's life-cycle management.