Options

Is SmartAssembly Development dead?

safepagesafepage Posts: 2
edited January 5, 2017 7:17PM in SmartAssembly
Is SmartAssembly Development dead? and if so why is my company still paying for support?

There hasn't been an update for a very long time and as such there is no support for the new .Net components such as .Net Core. Also other tools can reverse the obfuscation rendering it useless.

Comments

• Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Thanks for your post and my apologies for the delayed response!

SmartAssembly is not a dead tool, but I completely understand your concerns. There haven't been any major updates to SmartAssembly as our developers have been focusing on other tools, but there has actually been a recent minor release of the tool that is currently available from Check For Updates. I'm so sorry to say though that this does not yet include support for .NET Core and we don't yet have a timeline for when this will be added, but we will let you know of any changes to this.

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Options
    AndyLAndyL Posts: 3 New member
    I can tell you that your competitors' salespeople are pointing to the lack of updates on SmartAssembly as a reason to buy their product instead of yours.
  • Options
    Sergio1Sergio1 Posts: 11 New member
    Has anyone found a replacement for SmartAssembly?
  • Options
    Stevie1Stevie1 Posts: 5 New member
    Are there any more updates scheduled? Waiting for fixes to my issues since a very long time - and yes also paying for support!
  • Options
    SamanthaJSamanthaJ Posts: 7 New member
    I too am curious as to what people are migrating to? .NET 8 release was a long time coming and still no support in SmartAssembly, but many other protectors already support it on launch.
  • Options
    Stevie1Stevie1 Posts: 5 New member
    Ruskin said:

If you're experiencing issues with a lack of updates and compatibility with newer technologies, it's essential to communicate with the vendor directly. Reach out to Redgate, the company behind SmartAssembly, and inquire about the current status of development, plans for updates, and support for newer .NET components.

That's exactly how we did. Waiting for an urgent issue to be fixed but not getting any plans not even rough when it could be fixed.

• Options
    JimAJimA Posts: 1 New member
    I see the latest release notes mention you are working on a version of SmartAssembly to support .NET 8.  Any estimate on when that update will be released?