Connecting to database error .....

BenjamminBenjammin Posts: 4
edited March 7, 2017 4:48AM in SmartAssembly
Connecting to database error & more.

Today I got an email notification of a crash with one of my applications. So I went into SmartAssembly to see the Report, but nothing appeared. Tried to download but nothing seemed to work and no reports showed, so next I saw an update was available, so I did update to the current version 6.11.1.354.

So now when I start Smart Assembly I get a message titled: “Problem connecting to database”, with a message of “Database server not configured”

When I click on “View Error Reports” I get a message titled “Problem loading reports list” with a message with these 4 lines and it is displayed twice.
“Unable to connect to the database for the following reason: “
“Database server not configured”
“If the database is on a network, please verify the network connection.
“If the problem persists, restart Smart Assembly and try again.”

Then I get an error titled “Error downloading reports” with a message of :
Unable to connect to the database for the following reason:
Database server not configured
If the database is on a network, please verify the network connection.
If the problem persists, restart SmartAssembly and try again (occurred once).
Is this a serious error that should be reported to Red Gate?

I see no way to configure a database, not sure what database we are speaking of and or how to correct. All help is appreciated.
Tagged:

Comments

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Thanks for your post!

The reason why this error is coming up is that SmartAssembly used to allow you to use either an mdb database (the default option) or a SQL Server database to store information about your builds (as well as your error and feature reports), but the latest version only allows the SQL Server database option, which is more robust. The error that you're getting though means that the SQL Server hasn't yet been specified.

To specify the SQL Server to use as well as migrate the data from your mdb database to that SQL Server, can you kindly take a look at the documentation here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/disp ... ase+to+SQL

I hope that info helps but please let us know if any issues persist!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• I don't think it was very nice that you did this without warning us during the install what the new requirements are. In no way whatsoever do I want SQLExpress on my PC or any other database for that matter.

Can I go back to a version that does not require this? If so what version & how would I do this?

Ben
  • Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Very sorry for any troubles caused! I will pass on your feedback to our devs, thank you for this.

You can indeed go back to the previous version that still provides the mdb option, available for download here: ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/Smar ... 26Nov2015/.

(It may be worth noting that with the latest version, the SQL Server doesn't need to be on the same machine that SmartAssembly is running on- you can connect to any server on your network.)

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Why didn't you just migrate to the compact edition of SQL?
    I don't want to install SQL server just to run Smart Assembly!
  • Russell DRussell D Posts: 1,324 Diamond 5
    SQL Compact is on the list of things to investigate and will be looked at soon, using it just requires re-writing part of the code and so isn't simply a "cut and paste the database type" job.
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • manlyboymanlyboy Posts: 27 Bronze 2
    I'm currently in the process of migrating and will send the error reports etc in due course.
    How on earth can you release this without including this as part of the upgrade process leaves me speechless.
  • Russell DRussell D Posts: 1,324 Diamond 5
    edited April 26, 2017 9:29AM
    This now supports SQL LocalDb.

@manlyboy could you clarify what else you would have wanted in the process?

We've included a database migration tool in the install, documented how to use it, and provided any necessary information in the Release Notes. I understand that not everyone reads release notes but I'm not sure what else we could have done, other than an automatic migration? This in itself has several issues though, not least of which is we would have had to make an assumption about what kind of SQL database people wanted to use. Then you have a whole myriad issues with actually getting that database installed, not to mention potential licensing pitfalls.
    Have you visited our Help Centre?