Options

Comments are not being disassembled

KaelumKaelum Posts: 7
I just noticed that comments (i.e. XML Comments) are no longer being disassembled. I am currently running Version 9.0.1.374 PRO.

Comments

• Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Thanks for your post!

Can I just double check--are you decompiling framework assemblies or non-framework assemblies?

If framework assemblies, I apologies as we have found a bug that may prevent Reflector from locating comments for framework assemblies - this is logged internally as RP-4030 and I'll post here once we have a fix for this.

If the issue is happening for non-framework assemblies though, can you kindly:
    1. Make sure that the xml file containing the comments is located alongside the assembly you're decompiling
    2. Make sure that you are using the .NET Reflector desktop application as the extension will not show comments
    3. Go to Tools>Options and make sure that the Documentation option is set to "XML comments"

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Options
    Russell DRussell D Posts: 1,324 Diamond 5
    Hi,

After further investigation this doesn't appear to be a bug with Reflector, but a change in how Microsoft have provided their framework documentation.

Can you confirm for me if you have Visual Studio installed, and if so which version?
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • Options
    Hi @Kaelum,

As Russell mentioned, this issue with framework assemblies is due to how Microsoft now provides their framework documentation, but we've now released a build that gets around this. You can update from Help>Check for updates.

Hope that helps!

• Options
    Hey Jessica,

Sorry for the late response, but there's been a lot going on. Yes, it was with the .NET Framework DLLs that I noticed the issue, and yes the update has fixed it. Time to get back to more AppDomain fun.

Thank you very much!
    Will
  • Options
    Thanks for the update Will, I'm so glad to hear that helped!