Options

Out of Memory Exception

aidan.hodgesaidan.hodges Posts: 4
edited February 3, 2017 2:05AM in SQL Data Generator
After running Generate Data several times on an existing project, SQL Data Generator will crash partway through generating data. Restarting the application then works fine for another several times before crashing again.

Each time the crash gives an Out of Memory exception. I've attempted send an error report, however that also failed with an Out of Memory Exception.

The project is a reasonable size (~250 tables in database of which ~50 are selected to having data generated). There is a also a fairly large amount of Python Scripts in the table columns themselves (~25-30% of the fields are using Python scripts).

Comments

• Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Thanks for your post and sorry to hear you are running into memory issues with SQL Data Generator!

SQL Data Generator is a 32 bit program, so it may help if you make it Large Address Aware to increase the memory max. You can download the following utility to do this: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showt ... p?t=112556

Once this has been downloaded, you can point to the "RedGate.SQLDataGenerator.UI.exe" in the directory "C:Program Files (x86)Red GateSQL Data Generator 3" and check the box in step 2 to enable the large address aware flag. Then click Save in Step 3.

Please let us know if this helps or not!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Options
    Hi Jessica,

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried running Data Generator after using that utility today but unfortunately haven't had any success. I've had it crash out twice since.

The first time give me a different exception (in the same circumstances as previously though) but did let me send an error report this time. The second time was another Out of Memory exception (with no option to send an error report, just a Windows Message Box).

P.S.
    That utility looks like it could be quite useful to solve another (completely unrelated) issue with have in our Office here :)

Cheers,
    Aidan
  • Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    So sorry to hear that didn't help! (though I do hope it helps with the other issue :] )

To help us locate the error report, can you please try again and send in the error report with your email address included (the one that you are using for the forums)?

Can I please also check the exact version of SQL Data Generator that you are using?

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Options
    Hi Jessica,

I've tried to submit the error report with my email address however whenever I include the email it fails with an Out of Memory Exception before crashing.

However it seems to submit fine when I don't provide the email address (I guess that was what I did differently above). Perhaps I can give you some more detail on when/what was submitted to help identify it?

The error report was submitted at 4:51pm, 3rd Feb 2017 Local Time (for me). That work out at UTC: 6:51am 3rd Feb 2017.

The Actual Error displayed was:
    Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: scope

The SQL Data Generator version is: 3.2.0.1043

I believe this the latest version (at least that's what it tells me when I Check for Updates).

Cheers,
    Aidan