Error installing or uninstalling SQL Search 2

bb1769bb1769 Posts: 3 Bronze 1
edited December 27, 2016 5:19PM in SQL Search
I had SSMS 2014 and SQL Search 2.0.1.30 installed. I recently installed SSMS 2016, and wanted to upgrade/install there. I tried the SQL Search 2.3 installer today from the website, but got an error. Installation summary said "Error getting file security: C:ProgramDataRed GateSQL SearchGetLastError: 5 (MSI Error: 1603)".

I then tried doing a repair on the SSMS Integration Pack Framework 1 per the instructions at http://documentation.red-gate.com/displ ... ent+Studio, but got the same error message. I've also tried uninstalling the SQL Search but got basically the same error. Any hints appreciated.

Comments

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Thanks for your post and sorry to hear about this issue!

We've actually seen this error come up once before and the issue was that the user's c:ProgramDataRedgate folder was marked as read-only. Can you kindly check the properties on the folder, make sure it's not marked as read-only (under the General tab) and that you have both read and write permissions (under the Security tab)?

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• bb1769bb1769 Posts: 3 Bronze 1
    Thanks for the reply. I should have said originally that I tried granting Full Control to Everyone for the C:ProgramDataRed Gate directory. But the install and uninstall still failed at that time.

However, now I drilled down into the directory to check permissions, and oddly enough, the SQL Search folder inside the Red Gate directory had explicit permissions for just me that replaced the inherited permissions. That's very strange as I definitely don't recall doing anything like that myself. At any rate, I set the folder to inherit permissions, then tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and this time it worked. Guess you need to check those permissions carefully!
  • Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Thanks for the update and for sharing the solution in this case, that's so great to hear you've got things working! Please let us know should anything else come up.

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?