SQL Toolbelt Installer Hangs

rjpaulsenrjpaulsen Posts: 50 New member
edited November 9, 2016 9:14AM in SQL Compare
I'm trying too install SQL Compare v12 via the SQL Toolbelt, but the progress bar hangs once it gets to "Service: Redgate Client". Eventually it returns this error:

SQL Compare 12.0 SQL Compare 12.0 Service 'Redgate Client' (RedGateClient) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services. (MSI Error: 1603)

I've tried:
* uninstalling v11
* running as Admin
* re-downloading
* rebooting
* Installing from the MSI package

The error has to do with starting the Redgate Client service. If I manually try starting this service, I get a message saying that it immediately stopped. I tried running the service as an admin and that didn't help either.

Suggestions?
Tagged:

Comments

• rjpaulsenrjpaulsen Posts: 50 New member
    Per Red-Gate support:

• Delete any file in C:Program Files (x86)Common FilesRed GateShared Client that look like ".rgupdate_bad_xxxx", and then try running the installer again

This worked for me. Apparently it can also be a firewall issue.
  • AngeAnge Posts: 2 New member
    edited June 14, 2017 10:53AM
    I know this is an old thread but I thought it worth sharing my solution.
    I think it might be caused by a bad uninstall of a trial/previous version maybe but I am unsure what caused it to be honest.

--Go to services on the machine you are installing it on.
    --Go to the service 'Redgate Client'
    --If you are unable to stop the service - change the start up option to 'Manual'
    --Change Recovery options to 'Take No Action' for all failures.
    --Reboot machine
    --Check that the service has not started
    --Run installation

Pending all this goes OK as it did for me, change the service back to 'Automatic' and revert the other changes above if this hasn't been done by the installation already.

Hope that saves someone some pain :-)

• @Ange thanks for posting that for other community members!