Struggling with Encrypted Objects

JParolinJParolin Posts: 3 New member
edited November 7, 2016 4:30PM in ReadyRoll
I have a number of encrypted objects on a test database that I am unable to successfully import/decrypt despite having the necessary permissions.
Oddly, I am able to perform this same operation with SQL Compare 12 without any issue.
I am wondering what would be the preferred configuration/approach to with working with Encrypted objects (aside from not having them :-) )
Please advise and thanks in advance.

Comments

• Sorry to hear that you're encountering a problem with your encrypted objects.

I've just checked the codebase and discovered that the version of SQL Compare we're using is a bit out of date (ReadyRoll currently uses 11.5.4).

To rule out that this was a defect in the SQL Compare engine that has since been addressed, would you mind trying this build of ReadyRoll (which contains version 12.0.33 of SQL Compare) and letting me know if it works any better?
    http://download.ready-roll.com/ReadyRol ... 6.1741.exe

Many thanks!
    Daniel Nolan
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • JParolinJParolin Posts: 3 New member
    Still no luck - reinstalled ready roll - created new project - and still same result.

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
    GO
    SET ANSI_NULLS ON
    GO
    -- Text was encrypted
    GO
  • Thanks for coming back to me so quickly.

I'll do some investigation on the issue and get back to you shortly.
    Daniel Nolan
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Unfortunately I've been unable to reproduce the issue you're experiencing.

I'm wondering if there's something specific to your project/connection configuration. Would you mind trying the following to rule that out?

1. Create a new ReadyRoll project, e.g. TestEncryption
    2. Change the connection to the server where your test database is (but leave the database name as TestEncryption). Use same credentials as with SQL Compare.
    3. Run the following on the server:
    USE TestEncryption
    GO
    CREATE PROCEDURE EncryptSP
    WITH ENCRYPTION
    AS
    SELECT 'Foo' AS Bar
    GO

4. Attempt to import the changes into your db.

Is the object script generated successfully?

If not, is there anything else you can tell me about object types that you're having trouble importing? If you're able to send me any code that you've generated from SQL Compare, I can try and reproduce it here (feel free to send me a direct message with the details, or send an email to support@red-gate.com).
    Daniel Nolan
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • We've confirmed that this is a bug in ReadyRoll. Here is a hotfix for the issue:
    http://download.ready-roll.com/ReadyRol ... 6.1763.exe

This should be included in the next release of ReadyRoll.
    Daniel Nolan
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software