Backup with verify not available in a scheduled job

daveeedaveee Posts: 2
edited December 29, 2006 11:14AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
When performing a single backup using the wizard, there is an option to ‘Verify files after completion of backup’ which includes a VERIFY parameter in the extended procedure. After the backup is complete, a verify happens which it writes to the log as ‘RESTORE VERIFYONLY FROM DISK’.

When I use the schedule backup using the GUI, there is no verify option. When I include the verify option into the extended procedure, it doesn’t appear to do the verify at all. How do I make SQL Backup verify a backup that is scheduled? It only appears to work when I do a single backup through the SQL Backup GUI and not via a SQL Job.

I also notice that the script for when I backup a single database using the schedule backup uses BACKUP DATABASES & not BACKUP DATABASE. Should this be happening? :?

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Dave

As per your call into Red Gate Technical Support, the verify option is only available when creating an Ad Hoc backups using the Backup Wizard in the SQL Backup GUI. If you use the verify option in your script to call the SQL Backup extended stored procedure or the Command Line interface, the verify option is ignored.

When you create a backup task using scheduled job wizard there is no option to verify the backup. In effect you are creating a task or job that is triggered by the SQL Server Agent, which calls the SQL Backup extended stored procedure.

I can submit a request on your behalf to have the verify option included for scheduled jobs using either the SQL Backup extended stored procedure or the Command Line interface to record the verify results into the SQL Backup Log file. However I cannot guarantee that the request will be successful and if successful inform you when or what future version of SQL Backup this requested change to the verify option will appear in.

You can verify backup files or backup sets using the RESTORE VERIFYONLY command.

Many Thanks

Eddie Davis
    Red Gate Software
    Technical Support Engineer
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    In version 4, the verification in the GUI is performed as a separate process, distinct from the backup.

In version 5, 'integrated verification' will be possible, so a SQL Backup job that contains the .. WITH VERIFY option will cause SQL Backup to verify the newly created backup set.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8