Is it possible to add a filter to the "Job failing" alert?

lb483lb483 Posts: 4
edited October 21, 2016 4:26AM in SQL Monitor 6
We have a number of jobs which fail by design but are all named appropriately to indicate this. Is it possible to add a filter to the "Job failing" alert so that these get ignored? Alternatively, is there a way to retrieve the code used by the existing alert as the basis for a custom alert? Thanks.

Comments

• Hi lb483,

You should be able to configure these via the configuration>alert tab. On the left-hand panel, you can then select the instance which allows the job failing alert to be expanded showing all of the jobs which are running. Each of these can be configured to send emails or to be turned off.

Unfortunately, there is currently a bug open where you cannot multi-select jobs under the job failing header. Turning off the emails would need to be done for each job in turn.

Please do let me know if you require any further information on this.
    Kind regards,
    Dan Bainbridge
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software
  • Hi Dan.

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately the jobs are created dynamically to indicate a failure in another part of the system. Consequently the option to de-select them from alerting would only work after the failure has been raised as an alert.

Do you have the query details that the alert runs? I could then create a custom alert which excludes those matching this naming convention.

Many thanks.

Peter
  • Managed to implement a workaround. The list of alerts comes from the [alert].[Alert_Current] view so I added an additional WHERE clause to exclude the jobs I don't want to see and this solved my problem.

This is not recommended as it's changing the application's view but it works.
  • Hi lb483,

Thanks for posting the workaround here.

I'm glad you managed to get this working :).
    Kind regards,
    Dan Bainbridge
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software