Restore BAK from Backup

bergsjbergsj Posts: 5
edited October 5, 2016 6:04AM in SQL Backup
Hi there,

I am interested in SQL Backup. Therefor I need to know if an encrypted backup can be 'exported' from the backup to be able to deliver the backup to the end-user (owner of the data) without actually restoring the database?

Cheers!

Sjoerd van den Berg

Comments

• Hi Sjoerd

Thank you for forum post.

SQL Backup is capable of creating an encrypted backup file and copying it to another location, providing the account you provide to the SQL Backup Agent service has security permissions to the COPYTO location.

Further information on the security permissions required is available HERE.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Thanks for responding Eddie,

If I create a backup that has to be encrypted and compressed it will save a SQB backup file. Very good compression by the way!
    Anyway within that file there is a backup of a SQL database.
    Now I would like to handout this backup to a thirdparty.
    What are my options?

Cheers!
    Sjoerd
  • OK just found that the CONVERT option lets you convert an SQB encrypted backup to an unencrypted Microsoft BAK backup file.
    That's very nice.
    Is there a way of keeping the encryption but convert the backup to BAK?
    Or is there a way of providing an end-user the encrypted SQB backup and the Backup Pro tools necessary to convert the backup on their own machine?

Cheers!
    Sjoerd
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Sjoerd

Thank you for your replies.

To answer your questions:
    Is there a way of keeping the encryption but convert the backup to BAK?
    Sadly no, once you convert the sqb file to a bak file or files, the backup file is no longer encrypted.
    Or is there a way of providing an end-user the encrypted SQB backup and the Backup Pro tools necessary to convert the backup on their own machine?
    Please pass on the encrypted sqb file to your client or end-user. Your client can download a utility available HERE called SQL Backup to MTF Converter, which will allow them to decrypt the sqb file providing they have the password details to do so. Please to download the tool, scroll down the page and click the blue click 'Show all free tools'. This will expose a list of utilities that can be downloaded and the SQL Backup to MTF Converter is the second item from the bottom of the list.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Hi Eddie,

That's exactly what I wanted to know.
    Thanks for that!

Cheers!
    Sjoerd