7.3.564 reporting error when there shouldn't be one

jsreynolds1jsreynolds1 Posts: 82 Silver 1
edited September 22, 2016 1:36PM in SQL Prompt
Something is very wrong in this release; it's started seeing various code as problematic across the board.

SQL Prompt 7.3.564, SSMS September 20 release, 13.0.15800.18

Example - it is highlighting the first commented line as a problem. In fact, it seems to just think that any stored procedure alter/create is a problem in general, and some random code which used to be seen as fine is showing as an error when part of the same procedure. I can't seem to find a pattern; for example I've copy/pasted code bits at a time from the larger procedure which used to be fine into another query, and that formats, then suddenly doesn't any longer.

I turned off show execution warnings and that didn't seem to do anything. I re-installed the beta as well.

Note that since I upgraded both SSMS and this beta release at the same time, I'm not sure which could be at fault.
21 Sep 2016 14:31:47,900 [1] DEBUG RedGate.SQLQueryKeeper.TabWatcher - Activation changed from Object Explorer to HRG_te_SaveTimeTip.sql - SQLRR (<redacted>).test (<redacted> (197))
21 Sep 2016 14:31:47,903 [1] DEBUG RedGate.SQLQueryKeeper.TabWatcher - Documing losing focus
21 Sep 2016 14:31:47,906 [1] DEBUG RedGate.SQLQueryKeeper.TabWatcher - Document gaining focus
21 Sep 2016 14:31:47,911 [1] DEBUG RedGate.SQLPrompt.CommonVS.Editor.TextViewMonitor - OnSetFocus IVsTextView: 385308428
21 Sep 2016 14:31:48,311 [34] DEBUG RedGate.SqlPrompt.Plugins.AutoRefreshPlugin.AutoRefresh - AutoRefreshing database test
21 Sep 2016 14:31:48,875 [1] DEBUG RedGate.SQLPrompt.CommonVS.Editor.TextViewMonitor - OnKillFocus IVsTextView: 385308428
21 Sep 2016 14:31:48,938 [32] WARN  RedGate.SqlPrompt.ScriptDomInterop.FormatterV2 - Error at range (0:1): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at ..(TSqlParserToken , TSqlParserToken )
   at ..[](IList`1 ,  , IComparer`1 )
   at ..(IList`1 , TSqlParserToken )
   at ...()
   at ..(TSqlFragment )
   at ..(TSqlFragment )
   at ..(TSqlFragment )
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql.ScriptDom.TSqlFragmentVisitor.ExplicitVisit(ThrowStatement node)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql.ScriptDom.ThrowStatement.Accept(TSqlFragmentVisitor visitor)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql.ScriptDom.StatementList.AcceptChildren(TSqlFragmentVisitor visitor)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql.ScriptDom.TSqlFragmentVisitor.ExplicitVisit(StatementList node)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql.ScriptDom.StatementList.Accept(TSqlFragmentVisitor visitor)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql.ScriptDom.BeginEndBlockStatement.AcceptChildren(TSqlFragmentVisitor visitor)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql.ScriptDom.TSqlFragmentVisitor.ExplicitVisit(BeginEndBlockStatement node)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql.ScriptDom.BeginEndBlockStatement.Accept(TSqlFragmentVisitor visitor)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql.ScriptDom.IfStatement.AcceptChildren(TSqlFragmentVisitor visitor)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql.ScriptDom.TSqlFragmentVisitor.ExplicitVisit(IfStatement node)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql.ScriptDom.IfStatement.Accept(TSqlFragmentVisitor visitor)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql.ScriptDom.StatementList.AcceptChildren(TSqlFragmentVisitor visitor)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql.ScriptDom.TSqlFragmentVisitor.ExplicitVisit(StatementList node)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql.ScriptDom.StatementList.Accept(TSqlFragmentVisitor visitor)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql.ScriptDom.AlterProcedureStatement.AcceptChildren(TSqlFragmentVisitor visitor)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql.ScriptDom.TSqlFragmentVisitor.ExplicitVisit(AlterProcedureStatement node)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql.ScriptDom.AlterProcedureStatement.Accept(TSqlFragmentVisitor visitor)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql.ScriptDom.TSqlBatch.AcceptChildren(TSqlFragmentVisitor visitor)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql.ScriptDom.TSqlFragmentVisitor.ExplicitVisit(TSqlBatch node)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql.ScriptDom.TSqlBatch.Accept(TSqlFragmentVisitor visitor)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql.ScriptDom.TSqlScript.AcceptChildren(TSqlFragmentVisitor visitor)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql.ScriptDom.TSqlFragmentVisitor.ExplicitVisit(TSqlScript node)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql.ScriptDom.TSqlScript.Accept(TSqlFragmentVisitor visitor)
   at Format.Engine.Formatting.SqlFormatter.Format(String script, IScriptWriter scriptWriter, CancellationToken cancellationToken, IList`1& parseErrors)
   at RedGate.SqlPrompt.ScriptDomInterop.Format.FormatterV2.FormatScript(String script, LayoutOptions activeStyle, IList`1& formatErrors)
   at RedGate.SqlPrompt.ScriptDomInterop.Format.FormatterV2.FormatScript(String script, String activeStyleName, ITextWriterInterop textWriter, Int32 startIndex)
21 Sep 2016 14:31:50,777 [1] DEBUG RedGate.SQLPrompt.CommonVS.Editor.TextViewMonitor - OnSetFocus IVsTextView: 385308428
21 Sep 2016 14:31:51,393 [1] DEBUG RedGate.SQLPrompt.CommonVS.Editor.TextViewMonitor - OnKillFocus IVsTextView: 385308428

Comments

• Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
    Hi John,

Thanks for your post - looking at the call stack it looks like the beta formatter might be failing to format a THROW statement, unfortunately there's not quite enough detail to pin point the exact cause. Would it be possible to email the offending script to SQLPromptTeam@red-gate.com?

With the 7.3 beta you can switch back to the old/stable formatter at any point by unchecking the "Use new formatting styles" check box on the experimental features page in the SQL Prompt options.

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • Aaron,

It's on the way via email.

Note I just found I can't edit the newer styles any longer too - throws an error as well.

--J
    Thanks John!

We received your email and can reproduce the issue here. We're looking into a fix now.
    Hi John,

We've just released a new beta build (7.3.0.568) which should fix this, please give it a try and let me know if you're still having any problems with it.

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • Aaron,

I can confirm that the formatting problem seems to be fixed, thank you!

I'm using the beta for its extended formatting functionality. One of the big hits has been semi-colons on the next line, which makes editing existing statements so much easier.

Thank you for the continued great product and quick responses.

Best,

John