check for updates locked SSMS

CGLuttrellCGLuttrell Posts: 39 Bronze 1
edited September 19, 2016 11:49AM in SQL Test
When I started SSMS this morning and it popped up the check for updates, new updates for SQL Test available box. It got itself locked up, SSMS would never finish loading, the check for updates box was there but blank and could not close and the window to install the new update was stuck because SSMS was still running but I couldn't get past that. I had to kill everything related in Task Manager to get it to go away.

Comments

• Hi

Sorry that you have encountered a problem. I am unsure what is occurring here as it is a problem I have not previously experienced.

If you allow SSMS to successfully start up and connect to the SQL Instances you manage. Select SQL Test from the toolbar. Select the help menu and select check for updates, does this action allow you to download and install the latest version of SQL Test?

Alternatively you can obtain the latest version of SQL Test, please use this LINK to download.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Hi Eddie,
    Thanks for the reply. I was already able to get it updated doing basically what you suggested. I was just wanting to share the scenario with you in case there was something to learn from it. I do usually have many tabs that have to load and it slows down SSMS on start up.
    Thanks,
    Chris