Change Management

drueterdrueter Posts: 3
edited December 27, 2006 6:27AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
SQL Compare is a great tool! It is of great benefit to me.

I would like to maintain a comprehensive log of changes made to a database via SQL Compare, and am beginning to think through how best to do that.

Ideally, I would end up with a table in the destination database that would have columns for the date/time of synchronization, the name of the object modified, and developer-provided comments explaining the change. This table would be updated at each synchronization.

This table would be basically “release notes” for the database.

I know I could build an application using the API to accomplish this: basically do a CompareWith, walk the resulting Differences, and take appropriate action.

1) Does anything like this exist?
2) If I do end up building my own, is there an API object that will build the SQL Differences as displayed in the SQL Compare IDE (line-by-line differences)?

Thanks for the terrific tools!

David Rueter

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi

Thank you for your post into the forum.

Unfortunately at this time Red Gate does not have a tool for tracking changes or maintaining a log of the changes to databases.

I do know that there is a code snippet in the SQL Toolkit that will compare two databases and display a summary of the differences. You may want to take a look at this, to see if this will display differences in the manner that you are looking for.

You can also perform something similar using the SQL Compare command line options and generate a comparison document. But again I do not know if document generated will meet your requirements.

Best Regards
    Eddie Davis
    Red Gate Software
    Technical Support
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com