MultiScript 1.3 Wishlist

SQLGinderSQLGinder Posts: 6
edited October 28, 2016 11:39AM in SQL Multi Script
I use Multiscript every day and and I am very grateful for this tool. However, it does appear this tool has been neglected a ton over the last decade. It recently got some love and updates, but I find some basic key functionality still missing so here's my feature wishlist.

Currently running 1.2.8
I work in a mutli-tenant database environment and it is essential to my daily job.
I use Multiscript every day for both select queries to find data and also to execute DDL and DML scripts with transactions.

1) While executing script the stop/esc button is either missing or grayed out and there is no way to stop a script (I see this is a known bug due to failing scripts timing out)
2) When displaying servers in the Executed Against box, it displays them in the order they are completed with a green check or red x and it is not easy to tell which ones are still processing because they are missing from the list. I usually run against 10-20 databases. It would be better to just display all database at once and add a processing icon to those that are in IP instead of making me figure out which ones are missing and still running.
3) Display the row count in the results pane. I cannot believe this is still missing as 99% of the time we all greatly care about the row count and its the first thing we look at. Dont make me cut and paste the results into a spreadsheet to get a rowcount.
4) When clicking on script checkbox dont switch context to that script, I am often trying to uncheck others scripts I dont want to run and switching the context just creates an extra click back to the script I was on to begin with. Its okay to switch context when i click the script but not the checkbox.
5) We still have to pay extra for this tool, so I am disappointed in the past neglect. I have been a long-time fan of many Red-Gate tools and still love using Multiscript, but frustrated. It's not included with the Toolbelt essentials which it should be, but I am paying for it so hope you continue the development support.

I hope these suggestions can make it into future releases very soon. Please feel free to contact me if needed.

Comments

• Hi,

Thank you for your feedback!

I have created enhancement requests based on your suggestions.

As you can see lately Multi-Script has been actively improved on.

Please keep an eye for announcements on new releases at http://documentation.red-gate.com/displ ... r+versions
    and thank you for your continued support of SQL Multi-Script!
    Sergio
    Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Please see our Help Center for detailed guides on how to use our tools
  • Can I just second the thanks for that feedback.

The couple of things we're probably going to be doing next in multi-script is a "save all" and a pattern based "add databases". Some of the things you suggest can be rolled into that work.
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Just looking through things I see that the rowcount is actually displayed on the messages grid (if you put the display in text it becomes easier to see). Does that help?

eg
    <RMSQL.TESTNET.RED­GATE.COM.Acme> (1 row(s) affected)

Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Yes, its not a sum of all instances but its there.
    Instead, maybe I should have said execution time while its processing and when it finishes.
    Sometimes my scripts run long and I don't have any idea how long they have been running or when they complete - unless I put time stamps in my scripts.
    These are some basic features we all used to seeing in SSMS when looking at lower right corner. It would be nice and familiar to see them there in Multiscript as well.
  • So would you want that per script and database (harder) or just a global increasing rowcount/time for all scripts on all databases?
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Mainly concerned with overall runtime from when you hit start to when it is finished on all instances displaying the real-time clock somewhere visible (just like SSMS).
    I don't need real-time for each individual instance but what at about after each instance completes it prints each instance total execution time in the message pane along with the rowcounts?
    We often cut and paste results into tickets as part of our proof of documentation where it was executed, so row counts and sometimes runtime is important.

If you just put the overall real-time while its running, I would be very happy.
    Thanks for listening.
  • Thanks for clarifying, we'll put that on our backlog.

It's really nice that people have been so patient with SQL Multi Script, the issue internally was that some development work was done on the mainline branch but never left in a state fit to be released (the projects work). We had to sort that mess out before we could start shipping it again. The last release I think fixed most of the remaining projects issues so now we can move forward with other enhancements.
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Just to let you know points 2 & 4 have now been addressed and will be in the next update.

I've also put together a mockup for point 3 and would welcome your feedback. Is that what you were looking for?
    Justin Caldicott
    Developer
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • I am impressed these suggestions are making into the product so rapidly. Thanks so much.

I think the changes in your picture look great and very familiar to what we are used to seeing in SSMS.

Something else to consider that is another efficiency the SSMS grid pane provides:
    1) anytime I select a single row, all rows or just a group of values from within a row it always pastes them without the headers
    2) if I right click any of these selections it gives me the option to include headers
    3) when using Multiscript all selections always include the headers when pasted (even if I don't want them and have to manually remove them)

I would prefer the functionally to work more like SSMS.
    I guess this could be #6 on my list above and probably the last of my minor pain points about using the product.

Thanks for listening
  • You're most welcome. I'm enjoying working on Multi Script as it seems there are a number of ways we can make it better pretty easily.

Thanks for the additional suggestion. We had this noted already, but I've updated it with your request. For reference this issue has the code SE-701.

What I'd like to do is give you the latest update early so we can make sure you're happy with the behavior on the points we've addressed. If you're OK with this please drop an email to justin[dot]caldicott[at]red-gate.com

Best wishes,

Justin
    Justin Caldicott
    Developer
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi

V1.2.9.723 released earlier today fixes or suggestions from points 2 and 4 following the good work by my colleague Justin.

Please use this LINK to download.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Thanks! New features look/work great. These small features make a big difference.

I was surprised to see that SE-701 didn't make it in this release. The ability to copy with/without headers from results pane. Any update on that?

Also another bug I have noticed the last few times I have updated multiscript, I have the program pinned to my task bar and after update the I icon is invalid and I have to delete and launch app manually and create a new one. Running windows 10 and I think it occurred on windows 7 as well.
  • My 2 cents :

We use SQL Multi Script to run updates (scripts generated with SQL Compare) on our clients databases quicky and in parallel (we have over 3000 databases). It happened sometimes that our scripts had glitches and failed on some databases. What would be cool is to be able to create a new distribution list from the last executuion, including only databases on which the scripts failed. Currently, we have to make that list manually, which is not very convenient if our script failed on 500 databases.

Thank you