Options

How many licenses do we need for BackupPro on a cluster?

sql-loversql-lover Posts: 39
edited August 16, 2016 1:13PM in SQL Backup
Mine is an active/passive Windows cluster running SQL2012. Logic will say I will only one? As MSSQL can only exists on the active node, but the active node can be A or B. Can someone from RedGate clarify this to me?

Back to June of this year, I got this email from David Cooke:
As for your licenses. You need a license for each server that you are backing up and restoring to. In the case of your cluster, because it sounds like you’re only doing SQL on one of the servers you would only need the single license.

Thanks,
David

Still is kind of confusing and I want to pass the right info to IT.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    SQL Backup works on a per-server license. This means you can have 10 instances running on the same physical server, and you would still need only 1 license. However, if the 10 instances were running on 10 different virtual servers on the same box, you would need 10 licenses.

For your cluster, you would need 2 licenses, one for each node, not withstanding the fact that only 1 SQL Backup service will be active at any point in time. However, if you have 2 or more clusters running on the same cluster node, you would still need only 1 license on that node.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    petey wrote:
    SQL Backup works on a per-server license. This means you can have 10 instances running on the same physical server, and you would still need only 1 license. However, if the 10 instances were running on 10 different virtual servers on the same box, you would need 10 licenses.

For your cluster, you would need 2 licenses, one for each node, not withstanding the fact that only 1 SQL Backup service will be active at any point in time. However, if you have 2 or more clusters running on the same cluster node, you would still need only 1 license on that node.

Thanks Peter.

I actually clarified this with sales this morning. But appreciate your response.