Cannot run find invalid objects

scollisscollis Posts: 31 Bronze 3
edited August 23, 2016 11:30AM in SQL Prompt
Hi,

I'm not sure whether this is essentially a bug in find invalid objects or a feature request...

I've got the scenario where I need a linked server for development. I can't bypass that easily, I need to develop some things that occasionally access functions on that server.

However when I try and run "find invalid objects" it always fails with "login failed". I'm thinking that if there are one or more objects that can be tested, the presence of a single one that can't because of a linked server shouldn't cause find invalid objects to fail (especially when it has already checked over a thousand objects to get to that point, as it has in my case). Ideally, these objects should be listed as "linked server login failed" or something like that?

Any better ideas?

Comments

• Hey Zippy,

Thanks for contacting us and sorry you are having this issue!
    Can you reproduce this and send in the log from here? https://documentation.red-gate.com/disp ... +log+files
    What version of SQL Prompt are you using?
    Can you log into those linked servers- does your account have the permissions to do so?

I have also followed up with you via email to get this info.

Warm Regards,
    Andrew Pierce
    Technical Sales Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • scollisscollis Posts: 31 Bronze 3
    Hi,

No my account can't log in to the remote server, we're using a special locked-down account because it's not part of our application - all we need is to run three or four select queries on particular tables to get information from a third-party system we shouldn't be touching beyond those lookups.

The chances that I will ever be given an account with the right permissions on it are smaller than winning the lottery if I'm being honest because of the security processes we need to run as an organisation. That's as it should be, I think - I'd be amazed if I'm the only one that has this limitation because of organisational security policies.
  • Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
    Hi Zippy,

We've tweaked how Find Invalid Objects works in the latest beta build: viewtopic.php?f=169&t=79994

It should now just mark the object as invalid, rather than aborting the whole operation. Please let us know if this helps.

Thanks,
    Aaron.