Error with saving previous compare

pthistletonpthistleton Posts: 8
SQl Data Compare used to "remember" the last compare I executed as long as I continued to compare the same DB instances. A couple of days ago this stopped working for me. Is there a registry key or something else I can do to get this working again? Re-Install?

Comments

• Hi Peter,

Data Compare should always retain the last settings in a BLOB in the registry. The key name to look out for is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Red Gate\SQL Data Compare 3\Last Project.

I don't know why it would stop working all of the sudden. Maybe your user profile had changed or got invalidated at some point and you lost the information in that registry key?
  • I have uninstalled and re-installed now. Deleted the registry keys etc.. and it won't work for me. Now it only seems to write to last project is I cancel out of registration and shut down. If I actualy register and synchronize some tables that key is not updated.
  • Bizarre!

If you look at that registry key again after you have the problem, is is completely blank, or just not getting refreshed?

Maybe it would help to run regedt32 to check the permissions to that key??
  • I have checked the registry set to full permissions for my user, I even added full permissions for the everyone group. Since it is getting written to it doesn't feel like a permissions thing.

The key has data only when I cancel from the registration of the DBs screen and always writes local... In a few weeks I will be able to rebuild this server as my local copy works fine. Just one machine that does not seem to like me.
This discussion has been closed.