DLM Dashboard with Log shipped database

EmmaTEmmaT Posts: 3
edited July 18, 2016 12:46PM in DLM Dashboard
Hi,
can you please let me know if DLM Dashboard works with a log shipped sql server database?
Thank you

Comments

• Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,132 Diamond 4
    Hi EmmaT,

In what way do you mean? DLM Dashboard alerts based on schema changes - a schema changes and a trigger fires updating the Redgate database; the log shipping will only be moving the transactions across (i.e. the data) so should have no interaction in that process.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Hi Alex,
    when schema changes on the primary database, then log shipping will apply those changes to the log shipped database. It doesn't look like DLM Dashboard is supporting this as essentially, those are changes from a backup (which does not fire a DDL trigger).
    We have a SQL database (controlled by supplier) that gets log shipped to our server daily. We would like to be alerted of any schema changes that the supplier applied.
    Is there a workaround for this?
    Many thanks for your help.
    Emma
  • Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,132 Diamond 4
    Hi Emma,

Ah, yes, that makes sense - had a bit of a moment there...

Anyway, as you say, since the triggers are not fired it doesn't work and there isn't a set workaround for this type of a situation. There needs to be some way of getting the DDL triggers to fire and after a bit of looking one thing that might work is to perhaps create an event notification on the AUDIT_BACKUP_RESTORE_EVENT event that may be able to trigger it?

Hope that helps and sorry for my earlier confusion!

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Did anyone come up with a working solution to this issue.

I have exactly the same problem trying to monitor a log shipped database.