Re-writing doc info to DB with same structure

SJCTelSJCTel Posts: 3
edited June 1, 2016 4:16AM in SQL Doc
I have been tasked with documenting an DB. As a newbie, to the company, I have only been given access to a basic development copy of the DB and have started to add the MS_Description details into this.

Worried that I am documenting a DB that I then cant reflect the MS_Description into, for example, a production version of the DB. I looked for a way to transfer the Extended Parameters from one DB to another.

I have solved this using Linked Servers and a script I have created but it makes the whole process a bit piecemeal.

So my question is: Is there a way to 'easily' transfer the documented info from a Redgate SQL Doc project attached to one DB...into another DB?

I get the feeling I am missing something obvious.

Thanks

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi

Thank you for your forum post.

If I have understood you correctly, you wish to transfer to transfer the Extended Parameters from one DB to another.

SQL Doc will not perform this operation for you. However another Redgate application called SQL Compare will be able to help you with this task. If you wish to evaluate SQL Compare, it can be downloaded using this LINK.

Many thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Hi,

I have a similar situation and have created a workable solution which uses a simple SQL script to copy the extended properties from one database to another. It's still in the test phase but seems to be working very well.
    I am happy to share this if you are interested.

Bob
  • Hi Bob

Yes in the end I ended up doing the same thing. It needs some refining but works pretty well.

If I get stuck ill give you a shout.

Thanks