New Aliasing Feature in version 5.2.0

DonFergusonDonFerguson Posts: 196 Silver 5
edited May 18, 2016 12:33PM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
I can't find any specific documentation on using the aliasing feature and it appears the classic global overview page still comes up by default. Though I can access the new global dashboard with 5.2.0 by adding globaldashboard to the end of the Red Gate monitor URL, it appears that the alias can only be applied to the instance name, not the server name. I really need to be able to apply the alias to the server host name for the feature to be useful. Is there anyway to do that?

Comments

• Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi Don,

I'm checking on the documentation with the team and let you know; I couldn't see any when I had a quick look which doesn't seem right.

That sounds very strange with the global overview displaying and that you still have to add the globaldashboard on the url - this should only be the case for 5.1... Are you using IIS or XSP server and can you confirm in the Control Panel > Programs and Features the version of the SQL Monitor Web 5 that is installed ( as well as checking Configuration > About for the version shown there)? I'm currently using XSP and I haven't found a way to get it to show the original Global Overview - I'll try out the IIS and see if I can recreate the behaviour there.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • DonFergusonDonFerguson Posts: 196 Silver 5
    Confirmed in control panel that SQL Monitor Web 5 version installed is 5.2.0.3658. I'm not using IIS, I'm using the built in web service that is built into SQL Monitor 5. I'm also running the base monitor on a separate host.

Web Server

Version: 5.2.0.3658
    Web Server: Mono.WebServer2/0.4.0.0
    Server Name: http://WEBHOST:8080
    Server HOST .NET: .NET 4.5.2
    Server Path: C:Program FilesRed GateSQL MonitorWebWebsite
    Hosted Environment: 64Bit
    User: NETWORK SERVICE
    View Web Server log file
    Download full Web Server log file

Base Monitor
    Version: 5.2.0.3658
    Base Monitor: BASEHOST:7399
    Install Location: C:Program FilesRed GateSQL MonitorBaseMonitor
    Host Environment: 64Bit
    User: Account@domain.com
    Domain: DOMAIN
    Database: DBHHOST *** RedGateMonitor
    Hi Don,

I've spoken the to developers and at this point the aliasing feature is only for SQL Instances. I did point out to them the confusing nature of the Aliasing dialogue where it uses the word 'Server' everywhere and they are looking into modifying the text. I have also found a uservoice suggestion for the broader aliasing of names which you should vote on.

As for seeing the old global overview, I have not yet been able to reproduce this but I'm still investigating the issue.

Kind regards,
    Alex

Strange that you can't reproduce it when it constantly does that for every system I upgraded. Perhaps I should try a clean install.
    Hi Don,

Very odd indeed. If possible can you do a test clear install to see if that shows the dashboard properly? Also it may be worth trying to clear the browser cache in case that has anything to do with it.

Please let me know if you give it a try!

Kind regards,
    Alex

Turns out that the old Global Overview was a result of redirect to the old Global Overview page when running IE 11 in compatibility mode for the SQL Monitor sites. Once I disabled compatibility mode, the redirect sent me to the GlobalDashboard page. It took me a few hours to figure that one out.
    Hi Don,

Very interesting, I wasn't aware of that being the case, but sure enough if I add localhost to the compatibility view list in IE11 it goes the old overview page.

Thanks very much for letting us know!

Kind regards,
    Alex

Thanks Alex

Just for clarification, for me the compatibility view settings were not explicitly assigned to the SQL Monitor web sites, but instead the option to use compatibility view for all intranet sites had been checked.