How to turn off deadlock detecting permantely

MarkusMarkus Posts: 26 Bronze 2
edited April 22, 2016 10:49AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
I am new to SQL Monitor as of this week. We have one SQL Server that has a ton of deadlocks and is filling up the SQL Server log. I run the command to turn off deadlock detection (DBCC TRACEOff (1204, -1) but SQL Monitor turns it right back on. Also, I have the alert turned off in SQL Monitor for Deadlock and Deadlock trace flag disabled.

Comments

• Hello,

SQL Monitor does not disable the 1204 trace flag if you suppress the alerts for deadlocks, but you can disable the trace flag by reconfiguring SQL Monitor:
    • First, locate the configuration file on the machine where the SQL Monitor Base Monitor service is hosted.
      File Name: RedGate.Response.Engine.Alerting.Base.Service.exe.settings.config
    • Make a copy of this file and name it something useful like RedGate.Response.Engine.Alerting.Base.Service.exe.settings.config_old
      This will act as a backup of the configuration file so that your changes can be reversed.
    • Download and run the SQL Monitor Configuration Editor
      ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQL_ ... Editor.zip
    • You will be prompted to "Load a configuration file". Find the .config detailed in step 1.
    • You will be presented with a list of all the configuration options available. These relate to each item in the polling schedule. Any check box which is un-checked automatically uses the default. Simply locate in the list "[Cluster].[SqlServer].[DeadlockTraceFlag]" and select "Disabled" from the drop down menu which appears.
    • Once complete, click "Save Changes" and restart the SQL Monitor Base Monitor service. If you have any unexpected results then please delete your edited configuration file and rename the copy (then also restart the service).
  • MarkusMarkus Posts: 26 Bronze 2
    I don't see a path like described. However I see this path:

C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Monitor 3\BaseMonitor

but the file is called this : Response.Engine.Alerting.Base.Service.exe.config

is this the right file?
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Yes - operating systems previous to Vista leave the config file in the program files folder and Vista and newer redirect to programdata.
  • Hi

I am trying to resolve this issue we have here but I am unable to download the SQL Monitor Configuration Editor.
    The link does not seem to work.

Can you tell me where I can get the install file ?
  • A new version is available at: SQL Monitor Configuration File Editor
  • my browser was trouble with '%20' in link.
    now i solve and downloaded file.
    it works, thanks.

--

I'm trying download the SQL Monitor Configuration Editor but i the link is broken.
    Can you send the new link?
  • where can I get a copy of SQL Monitor Configuration File Editor?

Thanks,
    Rajesh
  • Hi Rajesh,

Here is the link and the steps you should take:

1. First, locate the configuration file on the machine where the SQL Monitor Base Monitor service is hosted.
    File Name: RedGate.Response.Engine.Alerting.Base.Service.exe.settings.config

2. Make a copy of this file and name it something useful like RedGate.Response.Engine.Alerting.Base.Service.exe.settings.config_backup
    This will act as a backup of the configuration file so that your changes can be reversed.

3. Download and run the SQL Monitor Configuration Editor
    ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQL_ ... Editor.zip

4. You will be prompted to "Load a configuration file". Find the .config file detailed in step 1.

5. You will be presented with a list of all the configuration options available. These relate to each item in the polling schedule. Any check box which is un-checked automatically uses the default. For example, to disable the performance expensive collection for the Top Queries feature, simply check the "SQL Server Top Queries" entry and select "Disable" from the drop down menu. Hopefully each entry is sufficiently self-explanatory.

6. Once complete, click "Save Changes" and restart the SQL Monitor Base Monitor service. If you have any unexpected results then please delete your edited configuration file and rename the copy (then also restart the service).

Hope that helps
  • Thank you very much for the quick response. Its a great help.

Regards,
    Rajesh