SQL Prompt 7.2 beta (now closed)

Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
edited April 18, 2016 5:40AM in SQL Prompt
The stable release announcement can be found here.

Beta closed - thanks to everyone who took part!

This build of SQL Prompt includes:
  • SQL Prompt now offers suggestions when connected to Azure SQL Data Warehouse and Parallel Data Warehouse in Visual Studio (UserVoice)
  • SQL Prompt now shows a warning message when you try to execute an UPDATE or DELETE statement without a WHERE clause (UserVoice)
  • Improved suggestions performance
  • The initial connection to a server is now made asynchronously
  • Open in Excel from the Results grid now exports NULLs as blank cells (UserVoice and Twitter)
  • Option added to exclude VALUES clause from auto-generated INSERT statements
  • Fix for missing remote_data_archive_migration_state column when using Smart Rename or Split Table (Forum post)

Version history
7.2.0.241 - 11th April
  • Script as INSERT and Open in Excel now support reordered Results Grid columns
  • Script as INSERT and Copy as IN Clause now use non-unicode strings for char and varchar data types
  • Support ticket 63957: Fix for Tab Coloring environments not being shown in Tab History
  • Support ticket 63823: Fix for error being shown when opening an SSMS solution file with multiple files open
7.2.0.235 - 7th April
  • Additional SQL Server 2016 built-in functions are now suggested: COMPRESS, DECOMPRESS, SESSION_CONTEXT and DATEDIFF_BIG
  • Additional SQL Server 2016 DBCC statement syntax is now suggested
  • Find Invalid Objects, Smart Rename and Split Table menu items are now shown under the main SQL Prompt menu in SSMS 2016
  • Column names are now suggested even if the definition for their data type can't be retrieved (Forum post)
  • Support ticket 63511: Results grid features now support exporting high precision/scale decimals
  • Support ticket 63041: Correct columns are now suggested in a MERGE statement's INSERT clause
7.2.0.222 - 4th April
  • Support for SSMS March 2016 Preview Refresh
    Note: This release supports SSMS March 2016 Preview Refresh and won't work with earlier SSMS 2016 preview versions.
7.2.0.212 - 23rd March
  • Improved suggestions when connecting to PDW:
    • PDW table creation hints are now suggested
    • Prompt now suggests CREATE CLUSTERED COLUMNSTORE INDEX
    • Unsupported table constraints are no longer suggested in CREATE TABLE statements
    • Prompt no longer suggests unsupported DDL statements
  • Improved design of error and execution warning dialog boxes
  • Fix for missing linked server suggestions
  • Fix for missing column suggestions in an UPDATE's SET clause when the table doesn’t exist in the database
  • Expand wildcards now inserts a space before the first column name if needed
7.2.0.196 - 17th March
  • Initial release
Feedback

If you have any problems with this release, please post them on this forum.

If you have any suggestions for improvements, please post them on our suggestions forum so other users can vote for them.

Comments

• jsreynolds1jsreynolds1 Posts: 82 Silver 1
    Hello,

This release seems to have issues with linked servers it didn't have before. None of my linked servers seem to get intellisense and failures pop up whenever it attempts.

Also, this:
    	-- Ensure valid store number
        IF NOT EXISTS ( SELECT  [tblStores].[StoreNum]
                        FROM    [Corpmaster]..[tblStores]
                        WHERE   [tblStores].[StoreNum] = @StoreNum )
        BEGIN
            THROW 60000, N'Invalid store number passed.', 1;
        END;	

The "THROW" statement is red wavy underlined, and the "END;" semi-colon is underlined red. After I reformat SQL it goes away, then re-appears a few seconds later.
    Image: http://imgur.com/9houGbj
    I have a good log I would like to send to someone and not post here. Any takers?
  • Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
    Hi John,

Thanks for your post! please email me the log file: aaron.law@red-gate.com and i'll have a look into what's going wrong.

Thanks,
    Aaron.

UPDATE: We've been able to track down and fix a potential cause. Could you try grabbing the latest beta build to see if that helps?
    Aaron,

I thought I'd try the latest beta first, and sure enough it did fix the issue with linked servers.
    Also, the wavy lines under the THROW statement are gone. Things seem to be back to normal.

Thanks much,

John
    Thanks for giving it a try - I'm glad to hear everything is working again!
  • Stopped working in SQL Server 2016 Preview.
    Hi kbraltodoteu,

Do you have any more information on what doesn't work for you?

The latest beta supports SSMS March 2016 Preview Refresh and not the older SSMS 2016 previews, so you might need to upgrade if you'd like to continue using Prompt in SSMS2016. Older versions of SSMS (2014, 2012 etc) should continue to work as before.

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • I was using the 7.2.0.212 version, but when updated to version 7.2.0.241 nothing worked, formatting, intellisense, and all options are disabled in SQL Prompt menu, except the Options and Help, and when it comes into options by clicking any option it closes the form. My version of SQL Server is 13.0.12000.75
    Hi kbraltodoeu,

You'll need to upgrade your SSMS to the March 2016 Preview Refresh (13.0.13000.55): https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt238290.aspx

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • It worked ... Nice work ... Congratulations.

Thank you so much.
    version 7.2.0.241

WAIT ON THIS - I MAY BE WRONG. I will come back and edit or delete based on more findings.

Beginning of a stored procedure (nothing odd in the creation part), I get this.
    nF31xd3.png
        SET NOCOUNT ON;

DECLARE @ErrorMessage NVARCHAR(2048);

-- Let's just get this awkwardness out of the way up front;
    	-- Is there (still) a product for the store available, or did 
    	-- someone else on the front end rip it out from under the 
    	-- current user?
        IF NOT EXISTS ( SELECT  *
                        FROM    [Products]
                        WHERE   [Products].[ProductID] = @ProductID )
        BEGIN
            SET @ErrorMessage = 'Product no longer exists.';
            ;
            THROW 60000, @ErrorMessage, 1;
        END;	

But the Products table has ProductID as a column. Many squiggly red lines below this one too. Here is the start of the procedure just in case you need that. Note that everything runs fine in the proc, there are no syntax errors anywhere.
    SET ANSI_NULLS ON;
    GO
    SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON;
    GO
    ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[fe_UpdateOnInventory]
        @StoreNum CHAR(3),
        @ProductID INTEGER,
        @ProductName NVARCHAR(4000),
        @PDSID INT,
        @Status BIT
    AS /*

Hi John,

There's a chance this is actually SSMS itself adding the red squigglies if you've got underline errors turned on in the SSMS options:
    7cMgqvM.png
    If you disable that option do the squigglies still appear?

Thanks,
    Aaron.