Options

Fast Deploy - time stamp process completion

SQL_ME_RICHSQL_ME_RICH Posts: 112
edited March 17, 2016 1:38PM in SQL Data Compare 11
Hello -

Using Data Compare 11 (SQL Data Compare V11.5.0.126). I am using the Fast Deploy option, and am wanting to see if there is a way to time stamp the beginning and end of the process, because right now - I am at the mercy of monitoring to the end, and for obvious reasons - that's not always convenient.

I'm sure this is just my ignorance of how to use the tool properly, but is there any way to see how long the process takes to perform the Fast Deploy? Logs or something?

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    Hello,

Thanks for your question. To get a timestamp you could export the script created to SSMS and run it there which will give you the total runtime. There is a log file but it will have so much information pulling a start and end time out of it would be very difficult.
    Allen LeVan
    Red Gate Software
    US Product Support
  • Options
    The scripts is too large to open up in SSMS. Isn't there a way to add to your command line option a time stamp for the beginning and ending of the process? I am working on a major migration of databases right now, and the process is very slow. I need to be able to give a definitive answer as to how long each database is going to take (to determine an appropriate downtime window for the maintenance), but I am beginning to be challenged by my team as to why restoring the old databases would not be a better solution (and there are multiple reasons for why that is not viable that I will not go into - be it safe to say that this is why I am looking at SQL compare and SQL data compare). I've tried both backup to database (extremely slow) and database to database (very slow as well). If I could at least get an idea on the length of time it is going to take to do each database, it would help me in justifying the tools, but right now it's taking so long for a few of them, that I cannot just sit around and wait for them to complete. I am using the Fast Deploy option so I don't wind up with 2 lengthy compares.