No Changes to Get

RyanJLindRyanJLind Posts: 8 New member
I have two servers, ServerA and ServerB. Both have a database "Apples."

I make changes to Apples in ServerA, commit the changes.

I go to ServerB, get latest. It says "There are no changes to get."

This happens to me every time. Both are shared databases. I just want to be able to commit every body's changes to TFS and then promote the changeset to ServerB without using SQL Compare or whatever.

Why doesn't this work?

Comments

• Hi,

With the shared development model, the intent is for each developer to share a single database. As each change is made directly to the database, there's no need to retrieve any changes from the repository so the Get Latest tab doesn't do anything.

You've actually created a sort of hybrid model by introducting the second database on server B. What I would do is unlink the database on Server B and then re-link using the dedicated model - that way you'll be able to use the get latest tab and deploy the changes.
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • RyanJLindRyanJLind Posts: 8 New member
    That makes no sense though. I can't unlink and re-link every time I want to sync up the servers.

We have a shared development database and then a shared QA database. How best to "promote" all of the changes from one to the other without doing a backup/restore or using SQL Compare which is completely manual? I should be able to just commit all the changes to source control and then pull them into QA.
  • RyanJLind wrote:
    That makes no sense though. I can't unlink and re-link every time I want to sync up the servers.

Sorry, I didn't realise that the QA database needed to stay using the shared development model. Obviously in that case unlinking and relinking all the time is not going to be practical.
    RyanJLind wrote:
    We have a shared development database and then a shared QA database. How best to "promote" all of the changes from one to the other without doing a backup/restore or using SQL Compare which is completely manual? I should be able to just commit all the changes to source control and then pull them into QA.

If you're after a best practice then we'd recommend looking at setting up Continuous Integration with the DLM Automation Suite. Using our tools with a continuous integration server, such as TeamCity or Jenkins, would mean that you could do automatic deployments to the QA database on a fixed schedule or on a new commit to your repository. I'd recommend that you read our Database Lifecycle Management pages.

I hope this helps.
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software