Options

Untitled Thread?

pchristmpchristm Posts: 6
edited September 21, 2016 5:44AM in ANTS Performance Profiler 9
We have a ton of threads. I'm trying to locate the UI thread. I've tried setting Name but they still show up as "Untitled thread" in profiler. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi and thanks for your post!

Can I check--are you by any chance attaching to process? I'm afraid the profiler isn't able to display assigned thread names when you profile via attaching. :/

If in any case you aren't attaching though, please let me know and I'll do some more investigating!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Options
    Yes, I always attach. It takes too long otherwise. So, there is no way you could add that in future?
  • Options
    Ah I see, thanks for confirming that. I'm afraid there aren't any plans at the moment to add it as the request hasn't come up much, but I've +1'd the feature request we do have for it (logged as PP-3420).

So sorry for any inconvenience caused for now!

• Options
    In an older version of the product, when I hovered over the green portion showing where an event was occurring within the time chart, it would show me what thread that method/event was on. Can we at least get that back? I'm going to start downgrading as without that/thread names this product is really difficult to use on a product that actually has significant work occurring on multiple threads.
  • Options
    I've gone ahead and added a feature request for bringing the tooltips back for the event bar (PP-3924). Similar to the previous request though, I'm so sorry to say that it may not be added in the near future as this is the first request, but I will let you know if there are any changes!

Thank you for the feedback and apoloiges once again for the troubles caused by these lacking features!

• Options
    Hello,

I am seeing the "untitled thread" issue even when starting the process from the profiler. It's just a simple console app. We're using Tasks and hence the thread pool so its really important to be able to locate the main thread quickly. I've tried a number of profiling modes.

Regards,

David.